APD “Answer the Call†Job Fair
Saturday, November 20, 2010
8:00 am -2:00 pm
Public Safety Headquarters
226 Peachtree St. SW
Atlanta, GA. 30303

(404) 546-7650

*Applicants should dress in interview appropriate clothing*

If you have the following documents available on the day of the job fair, please bring them with you. The documents will be required to begin the application process and must be mailed or presented at our office.

- A copy of your high school diploma, certificate transcripts, or GED Certificate
- A copy of your birth certificate - from the Bureau of Vital Statistics
- A copy of your current, valid driver's license
- Two (2) passport type photographs
- An original copy of your driving record for the past seven (7) years
- History and transcripts from every state DMV in which you have ever held a valid driver's license

The following documents are also required IF they apply to you:

- DD214 form showing an honorable discharge (if veteran)
- Certificate college transcripts (sealed)
- Name change documents (i.e. marriage license, court order, etc.)
- Copy of your certificate of US citizenship
- Copy of bankruptcy discharge papers
- Copy of test scores for the: SAT, ACT, Compass or ASSET exam.

For more information and to submit an on-line application prior to the job fair visit: http://WWW.JOINATLANTAPD.ORG

·
Swollen Member
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like it or not, Sandy Springs, the Cumberland area and Atlanta are where the money and the jobs are. :lol:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Pay starts when hired as a recruit. You start at like $42K a year with a four-year college degree after the academy, not counting extra jobs. No paying into social security.

·
Swollen Member
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cops don't pay into social security?

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,767 Posts
Tinkerhell said:
GAGunOwner said:
Mrs_Esterhouse said:
Cops don't pay into social security?
Not APD.
WTF?
Please explain further.

How does a state position manage to avoid federal "tax"?
The only way I can understand that is if the PD pay it for the officers?
probably the same way railroad employees dont...they have their own system setup

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
They must have opted out before that choice was closed in the early 80s. Kind of like Galveston County, TX, which Neal Boortz talks about sometimes.

·
Swollen Member
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are a number of groups of workers who are exempted from having to pay Social Security taxes:

Federal employees hired before 1984 who elected to continue to participate in the federal retirement program instead of receiving part of their retirement under Social Security coverage.
State or local government workers (police officers, firefighters, and teachers) hired before March 31, 1986 and participating in their employers' alternative retirement system.
Ministers may choose whether or not they will participate in the Social Security program.
Self-employed workers with annual net earnings below $400.
Election workers earning $1,000 or less a year.
Household workers earning less than $1,500 per year.
Minor children with earnings from household work but for whom household work is not their principal occupation.
College students working under Federal Work Study programs, graduate students receiving stipends while working as teaching assistants, research assistants, or on fellowships, and most postdoctoral researchers.
Individuals who are members of certain religious groups such as the Amish and Mennonites.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Some teachers, even newly hired ones, don't pay into social security because the whole school district has opted out.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
WHY CANT I OPT OUT?!?!?!??! send me my piece of paper, Ill get it notorized and I'll opt out. Keep what I've paid in as good faith money and we'll call it even. I don't need the Government to retire!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts