.357 revolver

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by misawa, Nov 30, 2006.

1. misawa

misawa New Member

I come before the Great (some not-so-great) Minds of GeorgiaPacking.org for guidance, comments, and snide remarks on a potential-soon-to-maybe-purchase-with-the-wife's-permission. I have finally saved up enough to look at adding to my collection and am looking at .357 revolvers; for the most part, I've been fixated on a Ruger GP100 .357 4". However, a coworker told me that he purchased a Taurus 608 the rough equivalent of the Ruger (including price) except 1) it holds 8 rounds; and 2) it has a ported barrel. I'm hoping to get in a range day with him to try it out, but I'm not sure when that will happen between now and next weekend (gun show in Gwinnett). For that matter, though, I've only handled the Ruger - I haven't actually shot it, though I have shot other revolvers of similar size and calibers.

I guess my main concern is with the ported barrel. I know it (supposedly) eases the kick, but I've heard others complain about ported barrels sending powder back in the shooter's face. At a range, that's not as big of an issue; but as this will most likely be a nightstand weapon - and thus probably used in the dark if the need arose - wouldn't there be a problem with a flash?

Now, with all that being said, here's my questions. Any owners of the Taurus here? If so, what are your opinions? Any shooters with experience with ported barrels - pros/cons? I would say feel free to add anything else, but around here that's usually understood. :D

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No issues during the daytime. At night, they all have flash, with or without porting.

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I can niether confrim nor deny the statement I am about to make but...

I have heard from what I consider to be reliable sources that some Taurus firarms are made with inferior steel (recycled cars?). If it were me, I would go with the Ruger for known reliability and a company htat has always stood behind thier products. But that's just me....

OK, got my asbestos shorts on, Flame on Taurus lovers, I'm ready.... :lol:

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Even if the steel is recycled (why is that bad?), that story fails the smell test.

Hell, my pistol is made out of PLASTIC fer chrissakes!

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

The impression I got was that the paticular process used to recycle the steel in this case did not insure impurities were removed resulting in weak areas. Like I said though, this is just what was told to me....

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Ported barrels

I have fired just a couple of handguns with ported / compensated barrels. I have always worn eye and ear protection when using them, so maybe my senses were dulled, but I did not notice any greater noise or feel any powder or high-pressure air blown into my face. The flash of the one ported .357 I used at night was minimal, but then I only had .38 specials in it. I don't see a practical downside to using such devices / features on a defensive pistol, although I don't see much of an advantage either, especially for a revolver.

On high-powered rifles I can confirm that an effective compensator (not just a decorative one, but one that really works!) will increase both noise and muzzle blast to the shooter and others nearby.

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

"Alls I know is..."

...the tiny issue we had with my wife's Taurus revolver had nothing to do with metallurgy.

8. rajl

rajl Guest

I've been a user of Taurus revolvers for years. They're great guns. The m82 is a nice little .38 spl. They have an exact clone in .357 (m62 or 65, forgotten which). Both are great revolvers.

I only have one caveat about porting: snakeshot. The two supposedly don't go well together. IF you don't ever plan on using snakeshot/shotshells, the point is moot.

9. misawa

misawa New Member

Thanks all!

I knew I would get a wealth of something from this gang, and some of it was pretty informative, too. :lol:

Thanks for your input and feel free to add more.

10. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

My dad has a snub-nose Taurus .357 with a 5-shot cylinder. Good gun, not quite as stout as my Ruger SP101 but it'll handle all the factory loads. The gun doesn't get used extinsively but when it's shot it works.

I personally prefer the triggers on the Rugers over the Taurus, but having an 8-shot cylinder would be nice.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

A family member has a ported stainless Taurus 4 inch .357 that is based on the Smith 686 or 66-2 frame. It shoots pretty much the same as the S&W gun. No real difference.

Wheel guns are real guns!

12. parolebear

parolebear New Member

Ruger vs. Taurus

I can not comment on the ported question, never had a ported pistol orther than Thompson 14 (45/70). I like the Taurus better than the Ruger personally, if you have not handled or shot one in the last few years they are light years ahead of the old ones. I have/had a 605 and a 85. I never had a problem of any kind out of either. Warranty is one of best in the gun world. In my world I would look for a used Smith and Wesson (Colt is out of the market) for about the same money. Unless you are stuck on a 357, a 38+P usally covers most needs and will be cheaper. Hard to beat a Smith 10, 36, 37 or 65 etc. My useless opinion. Thanks for listening.

13. Macktee

Macktee New Member

OK, my $.02 worth...

Rugers are damn near unbreakable. Taurus has a world-class warranty and an excellent reputation. I've not shot either so I can't offer an opinion.

I do have a S&W model 60LS (yeah, the Ladysmith) and I love it. But, if the Ruger and Taurus are similar, .38 special ammo is fun to shoot but .357 ammo is downright painful. Even punishing.

Buy the one that fits your hand and the one you hear calling your name.

You won't go wrong. That's why I bought the LS model and I have absolutely no regrets. Go with your heart Grasshopper...