Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, sort of!

I finally got around to chronographing my Uberti cattleman single action army revolver with 4 3/4" barrel AND Marlin 1894C Carbine rifle with 18" barrel with the 357 mag store bought ammo. Bad news is that the target was so full of holes, I failed to get a grouping measurement.

Revolver
357 Magnum 110gr Q4204
1,338 fps @ 437ft/lbs of energy.

Rifle
357 Magnum 110gr Q4204
1756 fps @ 753ft/lbs of energy

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Next time... :lol: Use some projectiles that the rifling can get a grip on, k? :wink:

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes sa Mista Fud! Shhhh, be vewy vewy quiet

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Wabbits!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
so there's about 400 f.p.s. difference between this pistol round fired in a pistol and that same pistol round fired in a carbine. That's a big difference.
I would not have predicted the carbine to hit that much harder.

I wonder if the same holds true for other calibers-- .45 acp in a 1911 versus in a Thompson?
9mm or .40 in a compact carry gun versus in a carbine with a 16" barrel?

When I did penetration tests shooting .22LR out of a 5" barreled pistol versus and 18" barreled rifle, the actual penetration wasn't much different and the recovered slugs looke similar.
I don't have a chronograph so I don't know about velocity.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Rule of thumb is 40 fps per inch of barrel difference.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What Match said!

With the ole lever guns, we always guess about 300-400ft difference between revolver and rifle.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I am glad to see actual numbers in the field with the 357 mag ammo. I have always liked that cartridge and plan on getting a 357 soon. Jack how much would the numbers drop from a four and five eights barrel to a 4incher? I want to get a 686-586 etc but want some good info on the rounds to use with the best ballistic qualitys.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jmathis84 said:
I am glad to see actual numbers in the field with the 357 mag ammo. I have always liked that cartridge and plan on getting a 357 soon. Jack how much would the numbers drop from a four and five eights barrel to a 4incher? I want to get a 686-586 etc but want some good info on the rounds to use with the best ballistic qualitys.
Simply a guestament = 40fps

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I'd like to see what I'm getting out of my 2.12 in barrel. Hornady claims they got 1200 out of a 2in barrel I'd like to see if its true.

One of these days if you want to run another test I'll gladly bring it over

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
That Hornady is powder-matched for that loading, and it is probably accurately portrayed. Fast powder at Magnum levels.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here they are!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts