Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I ask alot about ammo but I am really curious about it. I do not keep up with all the wiz bang rounds out now days. I plan to get myslef either a 586-686 357mag as soon as I get Tax money return. My question is what do most recommend to use for SD. I know about the REM load and thats about it. I do have about a full box of 158 Gold Dots and though of using them.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am by no means a ballistics expert......but the beauty of the 357Mag round is it's powerful enough to do a LOT of damage whether it's FMJ or JHP.

But that being said, your gold dots would be my choice. Magnum rounds have so much energy, I'd want a bonded bullet (which GD's are) so it doesn't blow itself apart.

Gold Dots are great. Spend your $$$ on target ammo or towards holsters. No need to spend any more on SD ammo.

:righton:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Salty. I just dont really know that much about the new rounds out. I have always been partial to Gd's but was concerned with overpenetration with the 158.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Overpenetration with 357Mag is certainly a concern, but in terms of ammo technology, in my observations, the only game changer that's come out in the past 5 years is Federal's HST.

The HST is in a class of its own. I've posted about that many times. And until Winchester comes out with an update to their Ranger T-Series, I won't even consider any other JHP's out there. But I shoot .40S&W so my options/availability are a little different.

I have yet to see HST's offered in 357Mag.

Other than the HST, Winchester's bonded PDX was surprisingly consistent in my various comparisons, but until they come out with boxes of 50, I'd suggest GoldDots over PDX's every time....and those are my top 2 bonded rounds.

For your caliber, Gold Dots really are the top choice even now in 2011.

But if HST's are ever available in 357Mag, they'd be #1. It wouldn't surprise me if Federal decided that magnum velocities are too much for the HST design. Federal came out with the 327 Magnum caliber and they only ever offered hydra-shoks for it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to see a HST in 357 but doubt it will happen also. I really like the GD"S more than just about anyother round Ive tested. A close second is the Critical Defense.I have been very happy with these 2 rounds and just wanting some advice from some with more experience with the 357 mag SD round.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've read that a 125 gr JHP bullet is the most popular self defense round. The 158 gr are said to have an issue of over-penetration. No need for specialty ammo is needed to me, just get a good quality 125 gr JHP that you can shoot well.

I would look into specialty ammo only for hunting.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not looking for speciality ammo just a good proven SD round other than the 125grain. I plan to use it for summer carry but was looking for ideas for during winter when heavier clother are wore. I just want field advice from a 357 shooter basically.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,726 Posts

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
My Model 66 S&W is my "go to" gun on my nightstand. I have shot over 10,000 rounds with it. (Admittedly, most of those were 38 Special) This box of rounds has been my "dresser box" for well over 25 years. This goes back in time when I believed, and lived in California, that you were required to shoot defensive rounds that were factory made.

I also loaded S&W 357 158 gr JHP at one time.

Though I have done so, I never shoot 357 Magnum with projectiles less than 158 grain. Very uncontrollable for blast and flash. Never again. I handload 357 with JHP (Hornady and Nosler) now, and would not hesitate to use them for SD.

Right now, the 66 is loaded with Gold Dot (or is it Winchester SXT?) 148 grain 38 Special +P (memory), with two speed loaders of the above pictured 357 in reserve. I do not intend to let loose full house 357 inside my home, unless it is needed. (They will go through any body, and have gone through deer larger than your average burglar or invasionist.)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Match. My bedside gun is my Model 10 with wadcutters at the moment. I plan to get the "FBI" load for house gun use. I just wanted some more info on the 158 grain 357 from people who have used them more than me. I really like the 357 cartridge and want one for carry and a woods gun. My Model 10 will more than likely stay as the bedside gun unless I get a G17.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Your model 10 is a fine house gun and when stoked with any 130+ grain projectile would be fine. The 357 is a bit overkill when your little girl is sleeping straight down the hall. I am very concerned with overpenetration in my home. My Model 15, 66, 36, 642 and a few others, even a Taurus) all are great house guns as well.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I though the same myself. Way too much noise and flash for a bump in the night. i dont feel undergunned with the M-10. It fits my hand well and points very naturally. I just want a 357. I have alwyas been fascinated with the power of the cartridge for such a relatively small bullet. The 357 is mainly for woods-farm and the occasional day I open carry. I wouldnt mind the Critical defense. They have worked well fo rme in 9mm,45,and 38 special. I would use that for summer carry and still use the 158 for winter when heavier clothes are wore.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
jmathis84 said:
I though the same myself. Way too much noise and flash for a bump in the night. i dont feel undergunned with the M-10. It fits my hand well and points very naturally. I just want a 357. I have alwyas been fascinated with the power of the cartridge for such a relatively small bullet. The 357 is mainly for woods-farm and the occasional day I open carry. I wouldnt mind the Critical defense. They have worked well fo rme in 9mm,45,and 38 special. I would use that for summer carry and still use the 158 for winter when heavier clothes are wore.
watch the neat little video in the link I posted. Hornady claims these are ideal for heavy clothing

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I shoot the Buffalo Bore 158gr flat nosed half jacketed hollow points. I don't have any data on muzzle velocity or pictures of what it does to ballistics gel, but I like the bang it makes... It makes you grin like this :-D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive seen theat video before. They got good expansion. I ve never had an expansion issue with the Cd before. Ive tested in the 9mm,45 and 38special before. Tyrant BB and Dt are good rounds but are loaded to hot for quick follow up shots should I need it but i like their ammo. Duck shooting the 357 in general makes me grin like this :D .I just love the round. seeing the expressions on peoples faces with it lights off is fun. My last 357 was a snub and I fired it about dusk with the Hydrshock round and fascinated my ole lady. :lol: . I appreciated all of the opinions for ammo type.My main thing is just waiting on these :cantsay: tax forms to get in. I am growing impatient. I will pick a round that is at least 125 grains or more. I actually prefer the heavy grain rounds for most my guns. I lik ethe 158 in 357 and 38, the 230 for 45 and the 147 for 9mm. I prefer to carry the heaviest rounds I can btu though about somethign lighter for the 357 b/c of penetration.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm sure you could find some mild loadings in the 158 gr round, but it'd probably be more along the lines of .38 Special +P+. I would carry the 180 gr Buffalo Bore and Double Tap for woods carry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts