Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get another revolver but have a few questions. I want a 357 mag but cannot decide between 4 or 6 inch and maker. It will mainly be a nightstand gun but i will carry it some. what would everyone suggest for a nice firearm to fit this description.I love the 357 mag cartridge and the ability to stop a threat.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
I like the GP100.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
If you want to be able to carry it, I would stick with the 4". I carried a 6" S&W at the '09 GCO convention and it's bulky and heavy.

I like the Ruger GP100 and the S&W 686. If you look around the Colt Trooper can be still be found for a decent price sometimes, unlike the more collectable Pythons.

Price wise, the three that I listed above, should run $450 - $600 depending on condition and finish. The Ruger will be lower end of the price range, the Colt at the top, and the Smith in the middle.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The GP100 with the 4 inch barrel has my vote.

Oh yes, in stainless.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
I've carried both a 6" .357 revolver (K-frame S&W) and a 4" .38 in the same frame size.
The 4" barrel is much easier to carry on your hip. Especially when it comes to sitting down.
But if you like a vertical shoulder holster for carry, the extra barrel length doesn't matter.
I replaced my 6-shot .357 with a 10+ 1 round .40 semi-auto as my big home defense pistol.
Now that you can get .357 wheelguns in 7 and 8-shot models, they would be worth looking at if you have a strong preference for a wheelgun.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I've carried both a 6" .357 revolver (K-frame S&W) and a 4" .38 in the same frame size.
The 4" barrel is much easier to carry on your hip. Especially when it comes to sitting down.
But if you like a vertical shoulder holster for carry, the extra barrel length doesn't matter.
I replaced my 6-shot .357 with a 10+ 1 round .40 semi-auto as my big home defense pistol.
Now that you can get .357 wheelguns in 7 and 8-shot models, they would be worth looking at if you have a strong preference for a wheelgun.
I agree with that GS! We got a new 8 shot Taurus .357 with a 4" barrel that is just down right EVIL looking. It shoots like a dream and can run cheaper .38's for range practice and then load the .357 for defense or carry!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Go with a 6 inch barrel, as they're about the same cost, and you aren't going to carry it so comfort won't matter (I find the longer barrel to be more comfortable for carrying). Longer barrel distributes the weight better and helps lessen the recoil. And when it really comes down to it, if you have to shoot someone with it, make sure they feel every bit of velocity that the round can offer.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
As stated earlier, either Smith or Ruger and 4". I love my 686 7 shot.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I love my S&W 38s and 357s.... All of them.

My favorite is a Model 66 that my father gave me for Christmas in 1978....

A four inch is "carryable".... :wink: Though it is the "go to" weapon in the house. (Or at least one of them!) :lol:

(Or the Model 15....)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
My 4" 686 old 6 shot model .357 is the only one of my dozen handguns that I can shoot really well.

·
68,524 Posts
Match10 said:
I love my S&W 38s and 357s.... All of them.

My favorite is a Model 66 that my father gave me for Christmas in 1978....

A four inch is "carryable".... :wink: Though it is the "go to" weapon in the house. (Or at least one of them!) :lol:
Ok, so Match and I "match" on more than just the 10mm, as my Model 66 with 4 inch barrel is my "go to" gun (or one of them). It was also my first police carry gun, after I convinced the department to let me carry it rather than the Ruger (the quality is just not comparable).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the advice everyone. i had a 357 in a 2 inch barrel. i did not like it at all. When i get one it will mainly be a house gun for bump in the night things. i have a 1911 and a Glock 19 that i carry. just mainly wanting something to be absolute realible and easy to operate should i need it.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Well, I would like to say that any full-house 357 is quite snappy and "bright" in any revolver, short of a big Single Action! Truthfully, I like the 357, but I rarely load it in favor of the 38 +P loads that are perhaps a bit more preferable inside the house. The 357 spits fire in any short barrel and from the forcing cone gap. (Rather spectacularly with some powders!)

Malum Prohibitum said:
......it rather than the Ruger (the quality is just not comparable).
I don't know. I have a Ruger Security Six (held for me in another state) from that era, and although the trigger is not as glassy and nice, it is a quality firearm that I would not hesitate to raise in defense of me and mine. It's a bit more of a "brutish" gun, with less fine lines and more of a hulking profile. ....That said, I really, really love my Smiths!

That 66 of mine is a tack driver, and has been attended to by an expert gunsmith. Sweet!

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
jmathis84 said:
thanks for all the advice everyone. i had a 357 in a 2 inch barrel. i did not like it at all. When i get one it will mainly be a house gun for bump in the night things. i have a 1911 and a Glock 19 that i carry. just mainly wanting something to be absolute realible and easy to operate should i need it.
Good idea. Everyone should have at least one Double Action Revolver in a substantial caliber IMHO.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I even installed the same grip . . .
That was the first and only maker of the rubber-type grips way back in the dark ages..... :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts