Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News just reported the 31st murder in Augusta this year.

Tried finding the article online but couldn't. Found this one though. Says that of the previous 30, 84% were "black" and 51% were 18 and under and "the folks that commit crimes are not educated". What's funny about that last quote is the news lady goes on to say "lawmakers are working on new legislation to INCREASE dropout rates".

http://www2.wjbf.com/news/2010/oct/07/o ... -vi-54020/
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,384 Posts
link
This is the county's 31st murder of 2010.
link2
More detail than first link.
It was Richmond County's 31st homicide of the year.

The 30th happened on Wednesday when a teenager driving his car about 2 a.m. on Dewitt Street was shot in the head. Terrence Lamont Turner Jr., 16, crashed his car into a fence and was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he died.
Sounds like a rough town....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for those links mountain!

Rough? I'm not sure how we measure up to a bigger city, say, Atlanta. But I will tell you this, the Chucky Cheese down the road from where I work here in a Augusta got robbed at gun point last year. So you know we have issues. But I just did a search on the internet and it seems like this is a common GA robbery. WTF?

http://www.wrdw.com/crimeteam12/headlines/48693562.html
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/20581642/detail.html

And we constantly hear about the banks and cvs's and stuff being robbed all the time...
 

·
Clueless
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
higabyte said:
Thanks for those links mountain!

Rough? I'm not sure how we measure up to a bigger city, say, Atlanta. But I will tell you this, the Chucky Cheese down the road from where I work here in a Augusta got robbed at gun point last year. So you know we have issues. But I just did a search on the internet and it seems like this is a common GA robbery. WTF?

http://www.wrdw.com/crimeteam12/headlines/48693562.html
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/20581642/detail.html

And we constantly hear about the banks and cvs's and stuff being robbed all the time...
Don't forget people.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
I was held at gunpoint in Richmond County, Augusta, in an armed robbery attempt. It was in the place known as "The Hill" next to Daniel Village and the Daniel Field Airport. I was born and raised there and in a suburb called Martinez. It certainly started to get a lot more violent towards 2004-2005. All of my friends had pretty much been held up for armed robbery, or knew someone who had in Augusta, downtown. I was always afraid as I walked to my car after a nice dinner downtown or leaving a bar or something. I also think that more than once, keeping my head on a swivel, keeping my shoulders in an assertive manner kept me from being targeted for armed robbery once or twice.

I had my car broken into downtown before, it wasn't late at night and it was in a well lit area. They were going to steal it, but something startled them and they left it. The officer thinks they were going to rob it for a joy ride.

I even had one friend who was shot by an armed robbery on a crowded street right next to a bar and grille downtown. He survived, thank God.

Things definitely took a turn towards the more violent, and I'm actually glad I don't live there anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EJR914 said:
I was held at gunpoint in Richmond County, Augusta, in an armed robbery attempt. It was in the place known as "The Hill" next to Daniel Village and the Daniel Field Airport. I was born and raised there and in a suburb called Martinez. It certainly started to get a lot more violent towards 2004-2005. All of my friends had pretty much been held up for armed robbery, or knew someone who had in Augusta, downtown. I was always afraid as I walked to my car after a nice dinner downtown or leaving a bar or something. I also think that more than once, keeping my head on a swivel, keeping my shoulders in an assertive manner kept me from being targeted for armed robbery once or twice.

I had my car broken into downtown before, it wasn't late at night and it was in a well lit area. They were going to steal it, but something startled them and they left it. The officer thinks they were going to rob it for a joy ride.

I even had one friend who was shot by an armed robbery on a crowded street right next to a bar and grille downtown. He survived, thank God.

Things definitely took a turn towards the more violent, and I'm actually glad I don't live there anymore.
I work RIGHT behind daniel village, in the Navy/Marine Corps Reserve center on Central Ave. I think that strip on Wrightsboro from Highland Ave. to I-520 is prob the worst spot in Augusta. It seems daily I hear of someone or something being shot, robbed, etc...
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
higabyte said:
I work RIGHT behind daniel village, in the Navy/Marine Corps Reserve center on Central Ave. I think that strip on Wrightsboro from Highland Ave. to I-520 is prob the worst spot in Augusta. It seems daily I hear of someone or something being shot, robbed, etc...
I know exactly where you work. I can see it in my head plain as day. I agree with you about the area. Something is always poppin' off around there.

My armed robbery attempt happened at a home right on the corner of Highland and Raymond Ave. My good friend still lives there.

Keep safe over there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
higabyte said:
I work RIGHT behind daniel village, in the Navy/Marine Corps Reserve center on Central Ave. I think that strip on Wrightsboro from Highland Ave. to I-520 is prob the worst spot in Augusta. It seems daily I hear of someone or something being shot, robbed, etc...
And the area right around washington rd @ I20, nothing good goes on at those hotels. Lets not even talk about S.Augusta
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top