Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright... I'm obsessed with this cartridge at the moment. I will eventually get a suppressor, and this caliber made up my mind on what the first one will be. (I was leaning towards a 5.56 I could use on my AR and .22, but think a 7.62 is in my future thanks to this) I just wanted to share this info with y'all as I think it has the chance to replace the 6.8 SPC as an AR caliber. If any of you have one, let me know what you think.

I stopped by my local gun store, Southeastern Gun Supply, and they had just gotten in a box of what appeared to be 200 or 300 rounds of the stuff from Remington. Alan, the gunsmith, was working the floor and showed it off. I've done research on the ballistics, and it is quite promising. From a 9" barrel, it has more energy than M855 from a 16" gun. It has more oomph than the 6.8 SPC Tap 110gr. They offer a 123gr. round OR a 220gr. SUBSONIC load. That's right! Remington is mass producing a subsonic rifle round! It has more energy from a 9" gun than 9mm NATO from an MP5.

The best part? Well, there's two.

1. The only thing you need to convert a gun are a new barrel and gas tube. The bolt, springs, and magazines are all interchangeable. Since it is based of the 221 Fireball/.223, it allows you to load the same number of rounds into the same magazines. Since the gas block gets moved back a few inches on the barrel, it will cycle super and subsonic without issue!

2. Remington is PUSHING this, so it might actually stand a chance. The OTM ammo I handled at Southeastern Gun Supply was a whopping $20 a box. They didn't have a gun for it, but they had the ammo. AAC has drop-in barrels for the Remington 7 and 700 series SA rifles, and they're threaded to boot. A ton of companies are working on rifles and uppers, including LMT, Spikes, and Wilson Combat. Remington has cranked out hundreds of thousands of rounds of this. Most of it went to companies developing the guns, but they are producing more now and shipping it to the public in anticipation of the demand.

What do y'all think? Will it sink or swim?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,700 Posts
I imagine there would be different twist rate barrels / uppers available.
If some loads are 120 grains and others are 220 grains, I would think that you're not going to find one twist ratio that will stabilize them all.

And does this round have any advantage of the .300 Whisper? Aside from the fact that Remington will make factory ammo for it?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're using a 1:8 twist rate for it. That's good enough to stabilize a 200+ grain 308 projectile.

The advantage over the 300 Whisper is that it is an open source round. No royalties have to be paid, or licenses acquired from, SSK to make ammo, dies, or barrels. It also allows for use in an AR without a gas regulator to run super or subsonic ammo. It is also a SAAMI registered round with specifics for loading, unlike the wildcat 300 Whisper.

The ballistics for supersonic are supposed to be somewhat higher by about 200fps. Subsonic, I think is marginally higher by 20 or 30 fps.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hve to see how it does in the long run. Looks like another "wiz-bang' cartridge to me. I hardly know all that are out today. Sounds promising but well see.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think this has enough juice behind it to last. Just by the sheer number of companies already on board in addition to what will be released at SHOT, it'll do better than the 6.8.

The biggest thing going is the only parts being different than the .223/5.56 guns is the barrel and muzzle device. AAC/Remington was smart and had it SAAMI spec'd for universal usage. Wildcats have a hard time lasting with no set specifications. I'd like to get a 9" barrel for my SBR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts