.22 rifles at 25 yards

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by gunsmoker, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Is that an asked and answered?

4. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Back with the M1 sling. 25y, standing, using sling around elbow (not "hasty sling"), best 8 is 1 117/128" (1.9140625)

Attached Files:

5. CoulReese

CoulReese New Member

Hey, would be nice to share with us the riflescope you are using for that great shot and the rifle itself. I've been in this game for some time, but I truly like your remarks. At what distance did you take the shots? I use Weaver scopes and it serves it purpose! So, hopefully, I would appreciate if you do the same and give me more clue!

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

under 2" offhand, unsupported, at 25 yards is excellent !

7. gunsmoker

Coulreese, ealier in this thread he told us about his rifle:

Ruger American Rimfire, 22" barrel

Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II 3x-9x 40mm scope

8. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Does sling count as "unsupported"? I always thought unsupported was without any stabilizing aid at all. I'm pleased to see it improved things, even I was using it "wrong". I'm ready to go back and try the "hasty sling" style: http://artoftherifle.com/hasty-slin...2/hasty-sling-how-does-it-work-if-at-all.html

I do better if my support hand is way out to the sling attachment. If I try to put my elbow in my ribs and the hand up under the receiver, like I see in descriptions, I don't do as well. But, working on technique at home, I'm noticing I don't truly let the rifle rest in NPA that way. I'm muscling it up an inch or 2 to move it onto target.

(3/4 Coulreese posts are traffic drivers to perfectriflescope.com)

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I think for this conversation "unsupported" can mean almost anything except bench, kneeling, bracing against a wall or pod rest. As long as the rifle is physically being held by only arms, hands and freestanding it can count as unsupported if you want. While the sling may (or may not) help some with the support it is still totally relying on your your ability to steady and aim the rifle while taking the shot. If someone has a differing opinion I would be willing to go along with it.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

I thought that you were supposed to push against the sling swivel with your hand? It helps to lock everything together without relying on your grip.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

I see we are talking about two different techniques now. I use a loop sling. http://artoftherifle.com/how-does-t...ow-does-the-shooting-sling-actually-work.html

It looks like the hasty sling that you pull your support arm to you to tension the sling where you push away for a loop sling.

I saw a cool setup on youtube a while back that worked for sitting. The guy had a sling setup that had a section that ran down to his foot. He used his leg to tension the sling and lock the rifle in place.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. a_springfield

a_springfield Active Member

I am adding a 25 yard backstop to my range at the house right now it is around 145 feet. The fireing line is either from just in side the basement or the sniper nest from my office (it is right above the basement "hide") it can rain, snow, be hot or cold I will be able to shoot from the comfort of my house.

13. gunsmoker

a hand stop is a little bit of an aid, and so is a hasty sling from the standing position, but either way, it's NOTHING like using a sling where you plant your supporting arm's elbow on the ground or against your own leg for support. The sitting and prone positions are where the sling has a significant benefit.

14. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Sitting at bench supported with "hasty sling" and target is at 50 yards, not 25. I was zeroing the Nikon Prostaff II at its design distance of 50 yards.

Group of all 5 shots is 0.964" I guess at 25 yards it would have been 0.482 ?

I need to find a rubber boot for the stock. I've looked before and wasn't finding anything. Stock likes to slip too much. And the polyester shirt I wore today made it really bad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I got the scope semi dialed on my Savage 64. I will shoot a measure a group when I have a chance.

Mines just a budget plinker that I on the cheap. I'm paid $130 for a Savage 64F. It's a 21" 1/16 twist barrel, with a 40" overall length and weighs 5lbs. I put a 4x32 rimfire scope in Redfield rings on top of it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  16. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

On 10/26, I put an NRA A-17 50ft small-bore target at 50 yards. My first string was splashed all over the left side of the target. "Rugerer," I said to myself, "You are totally forgetting your Appleseed!" So for string 2, I was in the zone.

Sitting at the bench, supported with hasty sling again, best 8 out of 10 is 0.871" at 50 yards, 1.664 moa.
    Ruger American Rimfire, bolt action
    Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II 3-9x40, set at 9.

Attached Files: