Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have a gun chambered for the .22 WRF (Winchester Rim-Fire) round, they are back on the market. I just saw some new production CCI ammo featuring a 45-grain hollowpoint. I don't know the velocity, but I bought some and tested them at the range and fired some into sheet metal and sand. THey are harder-hitting than a .22LR but certainly milder and quieter than a true .22 magnum (.22 WMR -- Winchester Magnum Rimfire).

If anybody has a .22 magnum gun and you wanted a less-noisy round to use with little or no muzzle flash, this is a good option. The cost is the same as .22 WMR ammo, at about $10 per 50. But it makes those small N.A.A. mini-revolvers more fun to shoot. The .22 WRF is the same diameter (both the case and the bullet) as the .22 WMR. The only difference is the .22 magnum (WMR) is longer, just like a .357 magnum has a longer case than a .38 special.

P.S. If you have a .22 magnum gun and you were planning on shooting .22LR rounds out of it for quiet hunting or training new shooters, you will probably experience a lot of jams, misfires, bad accuracy, and split cases that may be difficult to extract from your chamber. THe only good way to make a .22 magnum shoot milder is with .22 Winchester Rim-Fire ammo. (.22WRF is a round that dates back to the 1890s. .22 WMR came out about 1960.)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts