Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to make my range time cheaper. Right now I take an H&K USP .45 to the range, shoot 100 rounds, then pack up and go home. I figure three quarters of the cost of a range trip is ammo now -- worse if I go more often or get a membership somewhere. To fix that, I think I'm interested in a .22 LR pistol for bulk ammo savings and practice. I am not looking for a micro carry or a high end target pistol, just something that would be a good value for the money and have some durability.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Does anyone make a conversion kit for a H&K? Serious question.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
krmbigmac said:
Does anyone make a conversion kit for a H&K? Serious question.
Nope. The Internet sure thinks lots of people ask that question though. :shattered:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had a Ruger MkII for years. It's a bear to reassemble after cleaning, but other than that, I've been very happy with it. It's nice being able to shoot for an hour with $10 in ammo ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am fond of my little Buckmark. Kind of feels like a 1911, has slide release and safety button on the left,and mag release button as well. Not as difficult to assembles or disassembles as a Ruger MkII or III.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
jklotz said:
I've had a Ruger MkII for years. It's a bear to reassemble after cleaning....
It gets easier with more experience! The Ruger MKII is hard to beat in value and mine is atack driver.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I love my wifes walther P22 :righton: :righton: :righton:

·
16,485 Posts
I have a Ruger Mk II (better than the III) and it's great for a .22 pistol. If I had to do it over again, I think I would go with the Buckmark, mostly for ease of cleaning. Okay, mostly so it would match my can better than the shiny stainless steel frame I have on my Mk II, but the cleaning issue is important too.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Match10 said:
jklotz said:
I've had a Ruger MkII for years. It's a bear to reassemble after cleaning....
It gets easier with more experience! The Ruger MKII is hard to beat in value and mine is atack driver.
Your supposed to clean Ruger MKII's :?: I don't clean it until it quits working.

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Another vote for the Ruger mkii. You can probably only find the mkiii's but may be able to come across a mkii if your lucky somewhere. The mkiii is mostly the same as the mkii series with the addition of a magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator. Other pluses are tons of aftermarket for the Rugers and lots of dedicated groups. The 22/45 model of either series is setup with the basic 1911 control positions. The most desirable model would be a mkii IMO but any of them are fine when you deal with the mods to the mkiii series.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
budder said:
I have a Ruger Mk II (better than the III) and it's great for a .22 pistol. If I had to do it over again, I think I would go with the Buckmark, mostly for ease of cleaning. Okay, mostly so it would match my can better than the shiny stainless steel frame I have on my Mk II, but the cleaning issue is important too.
Mark II is great just hard to conceal , But overall a great Tree rat killing machine :lol:

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the Ruger vs Buckmark discussion, is there much difference if I use an ultrasonic cleaner?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Another thing about the Buckmark I like is that you can completely remove the barrel from the frame, if you want to put a threaded barrel on it later,or anything else you can a threaded barrel.

The only thing I can say bad about the Buckmarks is the top strap of the slide is plastic. Also, you have to get the two hex screws in the right place, one is shorter than the other,and be careful to put the washers in - they are inportant beyond belief. But you can replace it with a steel one,or one that has a rail for red dots or such other optics. Which is something I still need to do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Ruger 22 45. The grip angle is the same as the 1911 so to me it feels a bit better than the standard models. You can buy bulk pack .22 (550 rounds) at WalMart so it makes for a very cheap shooting session. A .22 is also a wonderful tool to learn how to shoot. With no recoil you can work on trigger control, sight picture, etc. I have learned some things, and fixed some problems since I got mine. The Browning Buckmark is also a very good .22.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I suggest going to the range and for a small rental fee plus other range fees you can try out everything in their rental selection. I did that a few weeks ago and was impressed with the Browning Buckmark.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
I've tried Ruger MKII's and MKIII's, the Beretta Neos, the Walther P22, a couple of older High Standards (getting expensive these days, but used ones can be found for $400-ish), the Phoenix Rangemaster (longer barrel version), and the Browning Buckmark.

I liked my Ruger MKII after it had a gunsmith's trigger job that cost me about $80. (a dozen years ago).
I didn't like the Ruger MKIII, but mine only had a 4" bbl. and that might explain why it just wasn't accurate enough (even fired with a crosshair scope, rested across a bag on a table top).

I really like my Browning Buckmark. Accurate, decent trigger out of the box, feels good in my hand, looks good, made of real steel (not like the Walther or the S&W 22A which are made out of some cheap alloy), and reasonably priced at about $300 (too bad it only comes with one mag).

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts