.22 casual target pistols

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by gunsmoker, Nov 26, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The "firearms" section of this website is mostly about guns for self-defense.
    I figured I'd put this thread down here in the "competitions" forum because it's just about finding a good .22 pistol to use for accurate plinking or casual target work.
    Let's talk about the kind of pistol that would be great for the kind of target shooting we do here with the monthly pistol postal match, or the .22 fun league that shoots twice a month at Hi-Caliber, or any other casual target shooting where you want to be accurate, but you don't want to spend $800 -$1800 for a "real" target pistol.

Today up at the Bargain Barn in Jasper I noticed a S&W 22A with what looked like a 7" barrel for $239.
    I've always thought the 22A was a lot of value for the money, since they can be found around $200-$240 and yet they have very nice sights, a comfy grip, and the look of serious target pistol, even though they're not.

Most S&W 22A's have about a 5" barrel, so this one is unusual. And it should be unusually good for punching paper, popping steel plates, knocking down bowling pins, or whatever other game you might play with a .22 pistol that doesn't require concealment or drawing from a holster.

I myself have tried several .22 semi-auto pistols over the years. My current one for open-sighted shooting is Browning Buckmark.
    Others swear by the Ruger MkII and MkIII pistols. I think they're great, too, if you get a trigger job done on them.
    Walther has a target version of the P22.
    Sig Hammereli has a .22 pistol called the "Trailside" that sounds like it should be a fun plinker, but everything I read about them says they are exceptionally accurate and are more at home popping holes in the 10-ring of bullseye targets at the range instead of making empty beer cans jump over at the town dump.

2. gunsmoker

Here are some other threads here at GeorgiaPacking about .22 target or casual target pistols.

".22 for target practice question" started 11/15/10. www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53166

"New GSG 1911 in .22LR" started 8-29-10. www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50483

"I Need .22LR target pistol" started 8--20-10.
    www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic. ... rk#p720600

"Best .22 Revolver" started 9-1-10. www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50604

"Beretta U22 Neos questons" started 6-13-10. www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48466

3. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

The best target .22 pistol I ever owned was a S&W model 41. I am still kicking myself for selling it.

4. gunsmoker

The S&W 41 is a real target gun, good for anything other than the Olympics. But don't they cost about $1000 these days?
    I'm thinking something less expensive that would appeal to a "casual" target shooter.

The ISSC M22 pistol, basically a Glock clone but with an exposed hammer, seems like another option.
    An online review says it will group 1" at 25 yards with cheap high velocity ammo, and a 1" group at that distance (if you could do it standing, unsupported) would be enough to win just about any local competition or match you might enter.

And I've heard good things about some of the .22 LR conversion kits available for the M1911 pistols, the Beretta 92/M9 series, and the CZ pistols.

5. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

I picked up a MKIII Target 22/45 yesterday at Elite Pawn in Conyers. They had the best prices I could on any any MKIII in my vicinity. This gun feels great, just like a 1911 and the trigger is light and crisp. This the first .22 I've bought and hope to use it for casual target shooting and plinking. I may try my hand at some steel plate matches in Griffin.

6. niadhf

niadhf New Member

I just traded a S&W22A with 2 barrels (4" & 6.5") toward a Taurus 605. The 22A shot great. a few feed issues, but only with hollowpoints. great groupings. Easy to load mags. I like my Taurus 94 and Ruger Single six better as 22 pistols though it just wasnt the right one for me. I love shooting 22 though. Looking for conversion kit for my G-19! That would be the right 22 semi-auto for me. Or maybe a M&P 22 pistol (yes, there is one on the horizon, by Walther)