Georgia General Assembly

Sponsors

Committees
House Committee:
N/A
Senate Committee:
N/A

First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 12 of the O.C.G.A., relating to general provisions regarding parks, historic areas, memorials, and recreation; to amend Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the O.C.G.A., relating to carrying and possession of firearms; to amend Part 2 of Article 4 of Chapter 12 of Title 16 of the O.C.G.A., relating to transportation passenger safety; to amend Title 27 of the O.C.G.A., relating to game and fish, so as to revise certain laws regarding the carrying of firearms; to amend Part 2 of Article 10 of Chapter 6 of Title 40 of the O.C.G.A., relating to parking for persons with disabilities; to provide for related matters; to provide for an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History
DateStatus
03/29/2021Senate Hopper

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,997 Posts
This bill is nothing but political pandering. If he was serious about trying to get it passed he would have dropped it before crossover day. Another option if he was serious about getting it passed would’ve been to back and help push one of the other two bills already filed it does the same thing. He is just trying to say hey I put forth a pro second amendment Bill when he runs for reelection next year.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,003 Posts
House and Senate leadership has been blocking good safety bills for a few years now. Yet, the rank and file membership doesn't replace them. Why?

It's because most of them either consider their buddy relationship with the leaders and their committee assignments more important than our rights, or they are afraid to put their public vote on these bills.

Either way, it doesn't matter. There is no will there to further our liberties, which is quite weird. Aren't these lawmakers also citizens? Don't they want to be able to carry in more places to protect themselves and their families from criminals? Don't they have friends and extended family that want the same?

Will they finally see that the ship is sinking and push through a whopper of a bill in 2022? Probably not, if they think it would help Kemp. In that case, Kemp might finally get on the horn and demand a great gun bill.

Someone with inside knowledge of all this intrigue should post it somewhere incognito and let the cat out of the bag.

Reactions: Polygon

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
It’s not terribly complicated. As long as we chose to only place faith in Republican legislators for 2A protections, it’s going to remain a tiny trickle of gain and lots of dashed hopes.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
It’s not terribly complicated. As long as we chose to only place faith in Republican legislators for 2A protections, it’s going to remain a tiny trickle of gain and lots of dashed hopes.
Indeed. I do however at this point question the tiny trickle.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
It's because most of them either consider their buddy relationship with the leaders and their committee assignments more important than our rights, or they are afraid to put their public vote on these bills.
Some truths are better not known.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This bill is nothing but political pandering. If he was serious about trying to get it passed he would have dropped it before crossover day. Another option if he was serious about getting it passed would’ve been to back and help push one of the other two bills already filed it does the same thing. He is just trying to say hey I put forth a pro second amendment Bill when he runs for reelection next year.

True. If they were serious about passing good legislation, they'd have dropped this bill when it had a chance of passing. It if were really "Constitutional Carry" it'd have more strike throughs in those "gun free zones".

·
Registered
47 Posts
House and Senate leadership has been blocking good safety bills for a few years now. Yet, the rank and file membership doesn't replace them. Why?

Either way, it doesn't matter. There is no will there to further our liberties, which is quite weird. Aren't these lawmakers also citizens? Don't they want to be able to carry in more places to protect themselves and their families from criminals? Don't they have friends and extended family that want the same?

Will they finally see that the ship is sinking and push through a whopper of a bill in 2022? Probably not, if they think it would help Kemp. In that case, Kemp might finally get on the horn and demand a great gun bill.

Someone with inside knowledge of all this intrigue should post it somewhere incognito and let the cat out of the bag.

Spot on summary.

The way I figure it, they're going to save one compromise bill until Kemp is up for reelection. Now that he's torpedoed his political career, he'll be looking for a way to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and pretend he's pro-gun again, after ignoring us for years.

They'll start out with a crippled bill, so as not to offend their Democrat masters, courts, judges, municipalities, schools and chambers of commerce, like Republicans always do, and once they've added in all of the restrictions from the whiners on the left, they'll submit their already watered down bill. Then, the committees will weaken it, and weaken it, and weaken it, then the floor amendments will weaken it some more, then the versions will differ, then it'll go back to more committees, who will weaken it more.

They'll wait until the last minute to bring it to a vote and when it's all said and done, we'll get another "compromise bill", full of 95% of the left's demands and .5% of ours and they'll pass another softball bill, while claiming it as a win for gun rights, the Governor and the Senate.

The masses will eat it up, Kemp and the Senate will make a big deal of it, patting themselves on the back, and Kemp will have more political ammunition to brag about in front of whichever Democrat he's going to lose to in 2022.

The Senate will throw all of their clout behind Kemp, being dense enough to think he can win and we'll have no chance of primarying Kemp out, in favor of someone with a chance of winning.

In the meantime, the Republicans will lose a few more seats and spend the time wondering why.

·
Super Moderator
69,899 Posts
Alright. Please start another thread to discuss politics in general and reserve this thread for discussion of SB 319.

Thank you. :cool:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
In light of the fact that this bill has 27/56 senators as cosponsors and governor Kemp seems to be pushing it, does this now appear to be the gun bill of the session?

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,003 Posts
I see room for a lot of strikeouts in SB319. And I'm talking about all the off-limits places still preserved in this bill as yet written.

As Shania Twain once sang, "That don't impress me much".

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I see room for a lot of strikeouts in SB319. And I'm talking about all the off-limits places still preserved in this bill as yet written.

As Shania Twain once sang, "That don't impress me much".
In light of how some probates handled license issuance during the quarantine(s), this would be a step forward on the 2A.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,003 Posts
Crumbs. I just renewed my license, and I want to carry in more places starting this year, without having to wait years for it.

Or else, I'm done with Kemp, who had the opportunity to set the agenda for a great gun bill at any time during his time in office. As a life member of Georgia Carry, he was well aware of what was being asked of him.

To keep "permitless carry" in his pocket to spring on us at re-election like this was the finish line for gun rights won't work with me.

His do-nothing stance the whole time has cast his early gun-toting campaign commercials as a clown show.

In light of how some probates handled license issuance during the quarantine(s), this would be a step forward on the 2A.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,003 Posts

I posted the first comment on the article there.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,003 Posts
I just now sent this email to all Senators who signed onto SB 319:

Dear Georgia Senators,

First, thank you for being a sponsor or co-sponsor of SB 319. I'm hoping a LOT more will be added to the bill.

While "Permitless Carry" could be a step forward for folks who don't want to get a license, it doesn't help me much.

I've had a license to carry for decades, and want my license to mean more.

An unlicensed court clerk with no firearms training can carry in off-limits places, while I as a licensed carrier would be arrested. How is that fair?

That proves that off-limits places are about politics and not safety. Is there no one there that can articulate this?

I'm a vetted and licensed citizen, and I want to legally carry in my son's high school even when not dropping him off or picking him up.

For my safety I want to carry in polling places when voting, and I want to carry in "government buildings" with screening when going to concerts or shows, not to mention in churches that haven't opted into HB 60.

No state I know of has ever opened up more places to carry once they got their "Constitutional Carry", which is really just "permitless carry".

True Constitutional Carry is being able to carry anywhere a paper-pushing court clerk can carry.

Let's add an Enhanced License option, or simply add licensed carriers to the Special List of Special People in OCGA 16-11-130.

I'm willing to take a training class to be rewarded with more places to carry.

Thanks, and all the best,

Phil

·
Super Moderator
69,899 Posts
This bill bears watching. My guess is that it starts moving soon.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,735 Posts
Following this one.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I noticed that the lead sponsor announced Wedneday evening at the rally that he now had enough co-sponsors to equal enough votes required for passage thru the senate. The Senate Judy Committee meets on Monday (1/24), the agenda isn't published, but I'm told that 319 is not on it.

·
Super Moderator
69,899 Posts
Anybody read it yet?

634 lines.

17 sections.

·
Super Moderator
69,899 Posts
29 (5) Since objects or instrumentalities in and of themselves are not dangerous or evil, in a
30 free and just society, the civil government should not ban or restrict their possession or use.

I wonder how many of them feel this way about a bag of heroin.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts