1.Cameron, Mike1st
2.Tarvin, Steve2nd

Committees
House Committee:
N/A

Senate Committee:
N/A

First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to carrying and possession of firearms, so as to provide for lifetime weapons carry licenses; to provide for and revise fees; to provide for background check reviews of lifetime weapons carry license holders; to provide for a definition; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History
DateStatus
01/13/2022House Hopper

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I am not sure it is a lifetime license if one must re-approach the court every 5 years or the license is considered suspended.
Agreed. I mean the reason I would even want one is to avoid going to the courthouse ever for that need. What would be the reason to go back at all. If it's to make sure we have been good, bad or dead that info could be easily linked to by the courts by any 1st year IT student.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
A longer period than five years makes this lifetime license unsuitable for a NICS check

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
So every 5 years it will be.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,987 Posts
This bill is trash.

It raises the cost of a license to $200.

Makes a supposed lifetime license, but still requires a background check and see every five years.

Makes license holders no longer exempt for NICS checks.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,988 Posts
Yawn.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
FTS

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,322 Posts
Not only does it raise the cost of the license to $200 it raises the 5 year (renewal??) from ( $20 Typo) $30 to $100. I not only believe this should be DOA the other should be as well.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Not only does it raise the cost of the license to $200 it raises the 5 year (renewal??) from $20 to $100. I not only believe this should be DOA the other should be as well.
The way I read it was $200 one time with free 5-year visits and a 50% discount for certain parties.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,322 Posts
The way I read it was $200 one time with free 5-year visits and a 50% discount for certain parties.
provided, however, that every five years from the date of the issuance of such license,
22 the license holder shall submit an application for a background check review pursuant
23 to subsections (c) and (d) of this Code section; provided, further, that failure to submit
24 an application for a background check review shall render the license suspended until
25 such application for a background check review is submitted. Such license or renewal
26 license shall authorize that person to carry any weapon in any county of this state
27 notwithstanding any change in that person's county of residence or state of domicile.
28 (B) The fee provided for under subparagraph (A) of this paragraph shall be $100.00

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
provided, however, that every five years from the date of the issuance of such license,
22 the license holder shall submit an application for a background check review pursuant
23 to subsections (c) and (d) of this Code section; provided, further, that failure to submit
24 an application for a background check review shall render the license suspended until
25 such application for a background check review is submitted. Such license or renewal
26 license shall authorize that person to carry any weapon in any county of this state
27 notwithstanding any change in that person's county of residence or state of domicile.
28 (B) The fee provided for under subparagraph (A) of this paragraph shall be $100.00
I do not know why you omitted the “for:” or the sub-clauses in quoting. They are informative.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Does GCO or whatever it's called this week support this?

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
A longer period than five years makes this lifetime license unsuitable for a NICS check
This is determined by the ATF and you're correct. Any license term over five years is disqualified as an alternative for the NICS check. One of the "benefits" of our GA carry license and I'd like to keep it.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
So every 5 years it will be.
This bill doesn't offer the choice. It's the lifetime license or nothing. Hope this bill crashes and burns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts