4.Scoggins, Mitchell14th
5.Gambill, Matthew15th

Committees
House Committee:
N/A

Senate Committee:
N/A

First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 12 of the O.C.G.A., relating to general provisions regarding parks, historic areas, memorials, and recreation; to amend Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the O.C.G.A., relating to carrying and possession of firearms; to amend Part 2 of Article 4 of Chapter 12 of Title 16 of the O.C.G.A., relating to transportation passenger safety; to amend Title 27 of the O.C.G.A., relating to game and fish; to amend Chapter 80 of Title 36 of the O.C.G.A., relating to provisions applicable to counties, municipal corporations, and other governmental entities; to amend Article 4 of Chapter 2 of Title 38 of the O.C.G.A., relating to active duty powers of the military; to amend Part 2 of Article 10 of Chapter 6 of Title 40 of the O.C.G.A., relating to parking for persons with disabilities; to provide for related matters; to provide for an effective date and applicability; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History
DateStatus
01/13/2022House Hopper

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Link to bill:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,988 Posts
I emailed this suggestion to the sponsor and co-sponsors:

Replace "misdemeanor" with "civil fine" anywhere a penalty is mentioned for a "Lawful Carrier License Holder". And remove the wording "first offense".

A license holder should not be subject to the risk of losing their license just for carrying for self-defense purposes in an off-limits location.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Looks like permit-less carry, removes nuclear power plants from the off limits locations and changes how courtrooms/churches are handled (exemptions to prohibitions) to signage required (am I right?).
Adds training for the now-mostly-optional license.
Removes non-LEO and non-military from 16-11-130.
Removes WMA prohibitions.
And adds what looks like enhanced preemption.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,988 Posts
If training is required for a license, I had better be able to carry in K-12 school zones and polling places when voting!

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,666 Posts
Reading legal-ese melts my brain. What is the difference between the weapons carry license and the new lawful carrier license?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,988 Posts
Then that would be a big step BACKWARDS!

It looks like the license would be required to have the permission of the school board to carry. No help on polling places.

Reactions: DonT

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Reading legal-ese melts my brain. What is the difference between the weapons carry license and the new lawful carrier license?
A lawful carrier does not need a license as a result of this bill (except as noted about schools).

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I got lost on lines 39-43 after I read lines 133-143. What did I miss. Seems one part says you can and another part says no.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,666 Posts
A lawful carrier does not need a license as a result of this bill (except as noted about schools).
This indicates that the "Lawful Carrier License" is indeed an issued license. I'm wondering the difference between it and a regular GWCL.
Rectangle Font Brand Paper product Magenta

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This indicates that the "Lawful Carrier License" is indeed an issued license. I'm wondering the difference between it and a regular GWCL.
View attachment 19982
It seems the LCL has a training component, that training is defined farther down. I might be reading this wrong, but an LCL looks like they get courthouse, but not courtroom carry (if appropriate signs), government building carry (SUCK IT dekalb), jails (?!), mental health facilities (SUCK IT grady!), places of worship (unless appropriate signs), and polling places. I can't believe they would allow prison carry though, so I've got to be reading this wrong.

[EDIT] Either some of those are poison pills designed to deliberately sink this bill. Or they're sacrificial lambs so when the left starts screaming bloody murder, they can get rid of a few of those without watering the bill down too much.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,322 Posts
I'm more concerned with...
39 (3)(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or
40 recreational area any handgun without a valid weapons carry license issued pursuant to
41 Code Section 16-11-129
weapon or long gun unless such person holds a lawful carrier
42 license. As used in this paragraph, the terms 'weapon,' 'long gun,' and 'lawful carrier
43 license' shall have the same meanings as provided for in Code Section 16-11-125.1.

Just having a WCL is no longer good enough to carry in those places and it adds carrying long guns required to have the lawful carry license

·
Super Moderator
69,851 Posts
I'm more concerned with...
39 (3)(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or
40 recreational area any handgun without a valid weapons carry license issued pursuant to
41 Code Section 16-11-129
weapon or long gun unless such person holds a lawful carrier
42 license. As used in this paragraph, the terms 'weapon,' 'long gun,' and 'lawful carrier
43 license' shall have the same meanings as provided for in Code Section 16-11-125.1.

Just having a WCL is no longer good enough to carry in those places and it adds carrying long guns required to have the lawful carry license
It is not lawful to carry or possess a long gun in those three locations with or without a license today. This bill would make it lawful with a license.

·
Super Moderator
69,851 Posts
I suggest dispassionately studying this bill prior to drawing any hasty judgments. It is a lot to read and digest.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,987 Posts
Sorry, but I’m sick and trying to read this while medicated.

Do lines 177-180, and 209-212 exempt a LCL holder from OCGA 16-11-127?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts