Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
69,738 Posts
I offered to take Park Cannon to the Silver Killet for best breakfast in her district, but she politely declined. My state Senator, Nan Orrock, has also declined offers. I look forward to every chance I get to vote for someone other than them.
I just wanted to say, "Thank you" for at least making the attempt to make two new friends. I get so tired of hearing all the posters whining about their legislators who have never even tried to befriend them.

·
69,738 Posts
Section I - changes the assault statute to be only the attempt to commit a violent injury and repeals the rest of it (placing another in reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury).

Section II - Removed churches from the statute listing places off limits to carrying a firearm. Oddly, this bill overlooks repealing the punishment provided in (e)(2) for violating this provision in (b), which would no longer exist.

Section III - Changes to the statute for licensing so that the probate judge must take applications even during a pandemic. No more setting appointments. Provides for civil relief in the event of a violation (mandamus). Deletes the second misdemeanor marijuana conviction as a factor of ineligibility. Provides for civil action for the creation or maintenance of a multi jurisdiction database, which was previously prohibited, but now the law has teeth.

Section IV - Changes to preemption. Preempts local governments from prohibiting discharge of firearms on plots of 5 acres or more.

Section V - APD gonna have to finally sell those thousands of weapons it has been stockpiling, or get sued up the butt. See also Section VII.

Section VI - repeals statute for closing stores selling guns and ammunition.

Section VII - Waiver of sovereign immunity for claims relating firearms licenses and the sale of seized firearms or other property. See also Section V.

Section VIII - Immunity for property owners which do not prohibit weapons on the property from "any claims arising out of a theory that such property owner should have or could have restricted the lawful possession of weapons on his or her property"

Please discuss.

Open that whole quote up by clicking on "Click to expand . . . " (right above this line) to see what they did to this bill. They cut off pieces until it is a bloody mess.

In short, they eliminated half of the original bill's sections. From my perspective, it was the good half. It is now not much different from HB218. The legislators are working together to streamline the bills with what they are willing to pass, or so it appears to me. We have seen this behavior before.

Current Bill.

Section I - Removed churches from the statute listing places off limits to carrying a firearm. Oddly, this bill overlooks repealing the punishment provided in (e)(2) for violating this provision in (b), which would no longer exist.​
Section II - Changes to the statute for licensing so that the probate judge must take applications even during a pandemic. No more setting appointments. Provides for civil relief in the event of a violation (mandamus). Deletes the second misdemeanor marijuana conviction as a factor of ineligibility. Authorizes online application. Provides for civil action for the creation or maintenance of a multi jurisdiction database, which was previously prohibited, but now the law has teeth.​
Section III - APD gonna have to finally sell those thousands of weapons it has been stockpiling, or get sued up the butt. See also Section IV.​
Section IV - Waiver of sovereign immunity for claims relating firearms licenses and the sale of seized firearms or other property. See also Section III.​

So they got rid of immunity for property owners who allow carry, shooting on parcels of 5 acres or more, repeal of statute for closing gun stores, and the redefinition of the assault statute.

In other words, they got rid of everything that would substantively change anything at all that affects any of you in any way that you would actually notice.

Nobody really discussed the old Section VIII at all, but that would have probably had the most effect on you over time.

·
69,738 Posts
This bill will probably pass with minor changes. My guess is that it will be combined with HB218.

Section I does remove churches from the off limits list, but that is of course the one location that does not matter that much, as to violate it would basically mean carry without the property owner's permission, and the offense is not even arrestable and is a $100 fine. Yes, yes, I know, it could still cost you your license. The fact that this has never happened to anybody in the State of Georgia keeps me from rejoicing too much over this potential "fix" to a law that would only apply to persons carrying in what amounts to a criminal trespass situation. I am very neutral and not impressed by this bill. I don't oppose it. I won't be celebrating if it passes. I'll just try to remember that 16-11-127 is updated.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,886 Posts
How much more do they want to be replaced? Yes, some of their seats will remain firm no matter how many times they enable leadership to torpedo good self-protection bills, but not all.

Like JRM, here's to hoping for major good additions to HB 640. It really is high time. The Governor needs to put some substance behind his campaign rhetoric. Time will tell if he believes that.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts