Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Senior Mumbler
6,573 Posts
I would be interested in hearing the pros/cons of letting the DNR become the issuing authority. My limited knowledge tells me that they are already adept and well able to handle tons of online applications & renewals. Plus, don't they already have access to NICS? Couldn't they perform the background checks w/o another agency having to do it for them? Wouldn't this be eliminating a middle man?
Doesn't the DNR already outsource the licensing? Do we really want GWCLs to be outsourced to the lowest non-Georgian bidders ?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Doesn't the DNR already outsource the licensing? Do we really want GWCLs to be outsourced to the lowest non-Georgian bidders ?
There are standards and compliance regimes that will protect PII (Personally Identifiable Information) even in an outsourced world. We just need to require them for outside vendors. The state already does for other services. It would help if Georgia followed California's lead (ugh, it hurts to write that) in Consumer Privacy laws (blind squirrel, nut). I expect that will happen over the next few years anyway as that is where the law seems to be headed.

The DNR is likely going to be more gun-friendly or at least less hostile than Fulton County (the new Probate Judge notwithstanding) where I currently reside. There is likely no fixing Dekalb County. Aside from actually not issuing a license, there is no lower service level than me and my fellow Fulton County residents currently experience. I waited 75 days pre-Covid (2019) between application and license delivery.

Finally, we will get out of the "judges club" where judges bend over backward to cover for other judges when we try and sue to get Judges to follow the law as actually written. I don't know if Judges will hold state agencies accountable, but again, it can't be worse than what we get today.

Reactions: A. McClure

·
69,738 Posts

·
69,738 Posts
Anybody know if this will come up for a vote today?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Anybody know if this will come up for a vote today?
Maybe... if Chairman Richard Smith ever decides to put it on a supplemental calendar - Rep Tyler Paul Smith presented it this morning so it's out there.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
This bill did not survive crossover.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Did they not get to vote on it? Is there any clear reason why it failed to cross over?
The reasons are clear, you just have to see them for what they are. GOP still has no interest in gun Legislation, too scared to upset those in the blue puddle.

Reactions: ICP_Juggalo

·
Registered
47 Posts
The reasons are clear, you just have to see them for what they are. GOP still has no interest in gun Legislation, too scared to upset those in the blue puddle.
Pretty much. No election coming up. They don't feel they have to pretend, at the moment.

·
69,738 Posts
They sure whipped that Make Citizen's Arrests a Felony bill through crossover day.

Reactions: DonT

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Pretty much. No election coming up. They don't feel they have to pretend, at the moment.
There's another underlying reason. Not all Republicans want Kemp back, some are even willing to withhold lifelines that he could use (gun bills). Think on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
He's done as governor anyway. No one wants him anymore. He won by the skin of his teeth the first time. He could sign every pro-gun bill to ever make it through both chambers and he wouldn't win re-election. If they're trying to make a statement by holding gun bills over his head, they're stating the obvious and punishing us to do it.

The only way he'll win re-election is if no one runs in the primary against him. It'll either be a Democrat or possibly anyone else who runs in the primary with an R next to their name. A tomato sandwich would get more votes than him.

If Republicans cared about pro-gun voters and/or were pro-gun themselves, they'd use the limited amount of time they have left to pass good legislation before they lose control of the Governor's office. It's coming...

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Do the Republicans think the Blue Anon crowd will actually leave them anything? That abandoning core principles will make them appear "moderate"? I think the behavior of the new administration and congressional majority should be clear enough. Unless they are afraid the rulers are going to use state law enforcement and investigation resources to harass them individually, which is another lesson from the national Left. Once again, we got used.

·
Swollen Member
11,956 Posts
Do the Republicans think the Blue Anon crowd will actually leave them anything? That abandoning core principles will make them appear "moderate"? I think the behavior of the new administration and congressional majority should be clear enough. Unless they are afraid the rulers are going to use state law enforcement and investigation resources to harass them individually, which is another lesson from the national Left. Once again, we got used.
It reveals one of two things: there is really a politcal monoparty or that Republicans are extremely gullible.

·
69,738 Posts
Even after crossover day, please keep Current Bills threads on topic to the bill. Thank you.

·
69,738 Posts
Is this bill dead for good or is this yr. 1 of a 2 yr session?
The latter. There could also be amendments to bills that did crossover that include all or portions of this bill or anything else that legislators want to add.

Reactions: phantoms

·
69,738 Posts
It is a 2 year session, so the bill is not technically "dead."

101 - 120 of 128 Posts