Game and Fish; hunting on wildlife management areas; prohibition; remove

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20192020/SB/72

Sponsored By
(1) Harper, Tyler 7th(2) Mullis, Jeff 53rd(3) Gooch, Steve 51st
(4) Jones, Burt 25th(5) Ginn, Frank 47th(6) Sims, Freddie Powell 12th

Committees
SC: Natural Resources and the EnvironmentHC: Game, Fish, & Parks

First Reader Summary
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Chapter 1 of Title 27 of the O.C.G.A., relating to general provisions relative to game and fish, so as to remove a prohibition on hunting on wildlife management areas; to change the date of effective rules and regulations of the Board of Natural Resources; to amend Part 1 of Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 27 of the O.C.G.A., relating to general provisions relative to hunting, so as to provide for regulation of hunting with air guns of not less than 0.30 caliber; to modify seasons and bag limits for deer, opossum, and raccoon; to modify certain prohibitions relating to restrictions on hunting feral hogs; to amend various provisions of the O.C.G.A., so as to make conforming changes; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History
Mar/01/2019 - House Committee Favorably Reported By Substitute
Feb/25/2019 - House Second Readers
Feb/22/2019 - House First Readers
Feb/21/2019 - Senate Passed/Adopted As Amended
Feb/21/2019 - Senate Third Read
Feb/14/2019 - Senate Read Second Time
Feb/13/2019 - Senate Committee Favorably Reported
Feb/08/2019 - Senate Read and Referred
Feb/07/2019 - Senate Hopper

Votes
Feb/21/2019 - Senate Vote #46Yea(38)Nay(15)NV(0)Exc(3)

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is headed to the House floor for a vote this week.

Senate Bill 72, sponsored by Sen. Tyler Harper (R-7), would repeal the prohibition on hunting in wildlife management areas (WMA), increase the number of deer tags available to each hunter, and remove the restriction on hunting with a suppressor just on private land.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,816 Posts
Didn't HB 60 deal with suppressors for hunting?

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of.......suppressors could only be used on private hunting land under HB60. This bill removes the prohibition on their use anywhere hunting is allowed.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,237 Posts
HB 60 said the owner or person in control of the land had to specifically give permission to use a silencer.

So for WMA land, I think DNR could have authorized silencer use on particular lands or for particular hunters on that land. However DNR did not. I think it was their unofficial policy to never allow silencers for hunting on any state property.

But that was DNR's decision, not mandated by OCGA statutory law.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,463 Posts
145 grain projectile at about 1000fps. Kinda light for anything much larger than a coyote. Not much more than a 9mm and only about 2/3 of a 357mag.

Nemo

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
145 grain projectile at about 1000fps. Kinda light for anything much larger than a coyote. Not much more than a 9mm and only about 2/3 of a 357mag.

Nemo
"Over the past few years, air gun technology has made incredible advancements. At the forefront of those advancements is the Benjamin Rogue .357 caliber air rifle by Crosman. For land managers looking to to harvest varmints, predators, and even for deer hunting, the Benjamin Rogue offers a powerful yet quiet alternative to muzzle loaders or rifles. Hunters looking to harvest antler less deer on food plots, now have a better opportunity to take multiple deer during the same hunt because of the quieter shot from the Rogue. We've successfully fired on animals at ranges up to 100 yards. The Benjamin Rogue is capable of firing a 175 grain bullet at more than 800 feet per second. Chuck prefers a 148 grain hollow point after testing a few different styles of bullets. His Rogue is sighted in at 80 yards which provides a slightly high point of impact at 40 yards and a few inches low at 100 yards. By adding a Mil-Dot scope and using a good rangefinder, the Rogue provides long range power for users who know their ballistics. The final important features of the Benjamin Rogue are it's 6 round clip and air capacity. The Rogue carries up to 3000 psi which allow the user to fire up to 13 shots of a 145 grain bullet rather than 1 or 2 from other air rifles. If the situation arises where multiple follow up shots are needed or more animals are present, the Rogue provides the shooter with the ability to take those shots. Whether is varmints, predators, or deer hunting the Benjamin Rogue provides the versatility and firepower required for any situation."

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Air rifles for big game???
It would also cover the benjamin Air Bow

And the bill won't increase the deer limit, it puts the limits in control of DNR, where it belongs, instead of Congress. So they can be changed rapidly in response to scientific changes in the heard and region instead of having to hope something makes it through congress, which usually takes multiple years to get through comittees.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my Benjamin air rifle (just a .22), and it would be cool if technology continued to make them better. But two things came to mind when I read the above thinking how cool it would be to hunt with a silenced air rifle.
1. The cost of air rifles is OUTRAGEOUS for quality rifles you could trust to make good kill shots
2. Isn't there a law about caliber you can use when hunting deer? So I quickly looked because I'm not smart enough to remember and found the following which wasn't really what I was thinking but I think addresses the issue by using the words "muzzle loading OR Center Fire": Georgia Code TITLE 27 - GAME AND FISH CHAPTER 3 - WILDLIFE GENERALLY ARTICLE 1 - HUNTING PART 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS § 27-3-4 - Legal weapons for hunting wildlife generally. (thank God for cut and paste!)
(3) Firearms for hunting deer, bear, and feral hogs are limited to 20 gauge shotguns or larger shotguns loaded with slugs or buckshot (except that no buckshot is permitted on state wildlife management areas unless otherwise specified), muzzleloading firearms of .44 caliber or larger, and center-fire firearms .22 caliber or larger; provided, however, that firearms for hunting feral hogs, other than those weapons specified in this paragraph, may be authorized by rule or regulation of the board. Bullets used in all center-fire rifles and handguns must be of the expanding type;
I'm really hoping one of you smarter than I will tell me all the above is wrong and I can start saving for a quality big bore air rifle and scope!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I love my Benjamin air rifle (just a .22), and it would be cool if technology continued to make them better. But two things came to mind when I read the above thinking how cool it would be to hunt with a silenced air rifle.
1. The cost of air rifles is OUTRAGEOUS for quality rifles you could trust to make good kill shots
2. Isn't there a law about caliber you can use when hunting deer? So I quickly looked because I'm not smart enough to remember and found the following which wasn't really what I was thinking but I think addresses the issue by using the words "muzzle loading OR Center Fire": Georgia Code TITLE 27 - GAME AND FISH CHAPTER 3 - WILDLIFE GENERALLY ARTICLE 1 - HUNTING PART 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS § 27-3-4 - Legal weapons for hunting wildlife generally. (thank God for cut and paste!)
(3) Firearms for hunting deer, bear, and feral hogs are limited to 20 gauge shotguns or larger shotguns loaded with slugs or buckshot (except that no buckshot is permitted on state wildlife management areas unless otherwise specified), muzzleloading firearms of .44 caliber or larger, and center-fire firearms .22 caliber or larger; provided, however, that firearms for hunting feral hogs, other than those weapons specified in this paragraph, may be authorized by rule or regulation of the board. Bullets used in all center-fire rifles and handguns must be of the expanding type;
I'm really hoping one of you smarter than I will tell me all the above is wrong and I can start saving for a quality big bore air rifle and scope!
The bill says "of air guns not less than .30 caliber"

I'm hopeful they'll be allowed in the counties that are currently archery only all season, at least to use during the rest of the states firearm season.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,237 Posts
I don't see any minimum muzzle velocity or foot-lbs. energy requirement for airgun big game hunting.

Which makes it somewhat consistent with the standards for regular firearms. They must have a certain bore diameter and they must use expanding bullets and they must be centerfire --but that's it.

No set velocity figures, no kinetic energy figures.

You can legally hunt bear in GA with a Baby Browning .25 acp pistol, if you feed it hollowpoint rounds.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,237 Posts
Isn't it strange that in Georgia it is ILLEGAL to hunt deer with a .204 Ruger scoped varmint rifle which can use 50 or 55 grain bullets at over 3000 ft./s and can shoot nickle-sized groups at 100 yards.

A 20-caliber 55 grain projectile moving 2850 f.p.s. generates 990 foot/lbs. kinetic energy.

In contrast, it's perfectly legal to use that .25 acp pocket pistol.
One of those fired from a 2.5" barrel will throw that 50 gr. bullet at 800 f.p.s., giving you 68 foot-lbs. energy on target.

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mar/28/2019 - House Passed/Adopted By Substitute

Georgia House of Representatives‏ @GaHouseHub #GASB72 #gapol

ETA: The House version put back in the use of "silencers, suppressors, or air guns for hunting within this state" as a prohibition. Is still allowed on private property with permission. So the Senate will not like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts