2019 - SB 238 Gun Shop Security Act

Discussion in 'Current Bills' started by BG_Atl, Mar 11, 2019.

1. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

2019-2020 Regular Session - SB 238 Gun Shop Security Act
    http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20192020/SB/238

Sponsored By

(1) James, Donzella 35th

Committees

SC: Public Safety HC:

First Reader Summary

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Part 5 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to Brady Law Regulations; so as to provide requirements for the securing or storage of inventory firearms at time when the place of business is not open for business; to provide for related matters; to provide for a short title; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History

Mar/08/2019 - Senate Read and Referred
    Mar/07/2019 - Senate Hopper

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If you are using a rod or cable through the trigger guard how do you shield it from bolt cutters? A 1/8'' rod is not all that tough to begin with. The vault makes sense but large dealers like AO would be a royal pain to put all the firearms in the vault and get them out the next morning.

3. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

It would be cheaper for large dealers to have night window, like racetrac. And pay someone to “work” overnight.

gunsmoker likes this.
  4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Is there currently a spate of incidents where dealers are going home and leaving a pile of Glocks on card tables out front or something?

Re: 1/8” rods or cables....if thieves will crash a large stolen vehicle into a security barricade to break in after hours, I’m not thinking the items in the bill will deter any more than the laws already on the books. I mean anybody willing to commit 2 felonies to facilitate the 3rd already has some determination...

5. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Or here's an idea, how about we work on improving the average police response times to commercial alarms at locations where guns are sold...

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Not really leaving them out on tables but it's easy to smash the glass on the display cases and bag up a hand full of guns. The range I sometimes work at has a huge bank type vault all firearms are moved into before closing and put back out to open. It's a small shop so limited supply of in-store inventory. There is an on line store with a very large inventory people can buy from and pick up at the store.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

That's thinking outside the box!

Although I'll bet that most county or city issued business licenses will have limits on hours of operation, depending on what kind of business it is and where it's located.

Although cities and counties have no authority to target gun stores for special regulation or restriction (Stste preemption applies) a neutral law that is generally applied to wide categories of businesses could be enforced against gun stores too.

8. gunsmoker

I think it's a good idea that burglars have as much difficulty as possible when they try to steal guns. That applies to your homes, and that applies to businesses that sell guns and repair guns. (I would say gunsmith shops too should be impacted by this law.)

there are plenty of smash and grab robberies of gun stores. One of the reasons the burglars feel so confident that they can rob a gun store that they know has burglar alarms and cameras is that they are sure they can do it quickly. They expect to snatch up tens of thousands of dollars worth of UNLOCKED guns from the shattered glass display cases
    (and off the UNLOCKED wall racks)
    within a minute or two, and they will be gone in their stolen vehicle long before cops arrive.

If locking up guns with long steel rods or cable-locks and padlocks,
    or putting them in gun safes,
    is what it would slow down burglars...

... then I think fewer burglaries would happen! And of those burglaries that happen anyway, more of them will end with the burglars being spotted by arriving cops first, thus greatly increasing the chances of getting caught.

9. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Is there seriously a gun store that could be simply breached with a rock though?

10. gunsmoker

in the mining and demolition industry there are safe storage requirements for explosives and blasting caps. The container in which those things are stored must be burglary resistant. Among pharmacists there are laws that require that certain drugs be kept under lock and key ( and I don't just mean the building itself is locked up with the exterior doors and windows being closed and locked ). Guns at gun stores SHOULD be in secure vaults or racks that also resist theft to at least a certain level.

I don't think it's unreasonable as a matter of regulation of a business to say that if you sell dangerous products you should have to keep them under lock and key when nobody is around to guard them personally.

11. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

There used to be one in Acworth in the Butler Creek shopping center. It got broken into 3 times in a relatively short period of time. I believe they ended up losing their FFL.

Acworth Guns off of Mainstreet was also broken into by smashing the front door.

Didn't Wild West Traders get broken into when thieves busted into the pawn shop next door to the gun shop and then broke through the interior door into the gun shop?

Seems to me that security gates and bars on all windows and entrances would be in the best interest of the store owner for insurance cost purposes. additional security inside, like gates over the gun racks or locking cages over glass display cases, would also be a good idea.

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Maybe one or two left overs could but I am not aware of them. The ones I know of have taken the security levels up but nothing is fool proof. Just like your home or any other business the doors and windows can be breached with appropriate levels of force.

13. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

That’s where I was going with grand theft auto (felony 1) for violent and tumultuous entry (felony 2) prior to stealing a single weapon (felony 3). Per the bill, an eighth-inch cable or rod wouldn’t offer much of a deterrent once there is a commitment to the first two felonies.

I strongly suspect this is a precursor to a general safe-storage bill anyway.

14. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The pawn shop is in the same paring lot as Wild West Traders but not the same building. WWT was broken into through the front doors but not until the thieves tried backing a stolen pickup truck through the wall. The security gates, locks and cables don't seem to stop them from getting in. WWT now has a bank style vault where all firearms are stored during non business hours.

15. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Ga range and guns they came in thru the roof. Had motion sensors and knew exactly where they were