2019 - HB 384 Weapons; firearms stored or kept within a home be secured in a locked container; requi

Discussion in 'Current Bills' started by BG_Atl, Feb 21, 2019.

1. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

2019-2020 Regular Session - HB 384 Weapons; firearms stored or kept within a home be secured in a locked container; require
    http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20192020/HB/384

Sponsored By

(1) Wilensky, Mike 79th(2) Frye, Spencer 118th(3) Shannon, Renitta 84th
    (4) Holland, Betsy 54th(5) McLaurin, Josh 51st(6) Frazier, Gloria 126th

Committees

HC: SC:

First Reader Summary

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Code Section 16-11-126 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapon, license requirement, and exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions, so as to require that firearms stored or kept within a home be secured in a locked container; to provide for a criminal penalty; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History

Feb/20/2019 - House Hopper

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT

To amend Code Section 16-11-126 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapon, license requirement, and exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions, so as to require that firearms stored or kept within a home be secured in a locked container; to provide for a criminal penalty; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF GEORGIA:

SECTION 1.

Code Section 16-11-126 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapon, license requirement, and exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions, is amended by revising subsection (a) as follows:

"(a)(1) Except as provided for in paragraph (2) of this subsection, any Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to store or keep any firearm in his or her home unless such firearm is secured in a locked container so as to render such firearm inaccessible by any person other than the owner of the firearm or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this paragraph, such firearm shall not be deemed stored or kept if such firearm is being carried by, or under the control of, the owner of the firearm or other lawfully authorized user.

(B) Any person who violates this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."

SECTION 2.

All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are repealed.

H. B. 384 -1-

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If this crap ever passes, and it stands up to court scrutiny (Heller struck down DC's safe storage requirement, but the Ninth Circuit upheld San Francisco's, and the Supreme Court denied cert), I think I would just violate it and hope the police never come into my home and find loaded guns not in locked containers.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If your home is locked, and especially if you have dogs and an alarm system, why should your guns have to be locked further inside a sturdy container in your home ?

What if you're home. You want to keep guns handy to shoot a home invasion robbine crew. Does the legislature intend to force you to lock up your guns because not locking them up would make them accessible to that home invasion robbing crew? (or cat burglars who can pick locks and sneak past you as you sleep)?

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

We're all in trouble when the government comes into our homes and tells us how to live.

DonT likes this.
  6. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

sponsored by 6 democrats,5 of them freshman class. I doubt it gets a hearing !

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

So forcing me to have a lock on my nightstand gun so I can fumble round with getting it into action when the B&E gang barges in without locks on their guns. OK. Screw you.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Betterer. :mrgreen:

9. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

My house is a locked container.

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

My house is just like yours SD.

Nemo

11. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member