2019-20 Regular Session - SB 529 Carrying and Possession of Firearms; lifetime WCL ; provide

Discussion in 'Current Bills' started by BG_Atl, Jun 22, 2020.

1. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

2019-2020 Regular Session - SB 529 Carrying and Possession of Firearms; lifetime weapons carry licenses; provide
    http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20192020/SB/529

Sponsored By
    (1) Mullis, Jeff 53rd(2) Brass, Matt 28th

Committees
    SC: HC:

First Reader Summary
    A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to carrying and possession of firearms, so as to provide for lifetime weapons carry licenses; to provide for and revise fees; to provide for background check reviews of lifetime weapons carry license holders; to provide for a definition; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History

Jun/19/2020 - Senate Hopper

Theyfish14 likes this.
  2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure a lifetime carry license would negate its use for not requiring a NICS check when buying a firearm. I think the ATF's "guidance" is the license can't be valid for more than 5 years.

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I get a GA lifetime license intending to be lifetime resident. Circumstances change a year later and I move.

Status? Effects?

Nemo

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It's not ATF guidance. It's statutory. 18 USC 922(t)(3)(a)(i)(II).

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Still valid. No effects. Not different from if you get a 5-year license and move out of state. You still have a valid GWL. It's just going to last longer.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

:cheers:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This removes the option for the 5 year license and NICS exemption, which is a death knell to the bill due to the number of persons who demand this exemption for Georgia from the license.

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It has a background check every 5 years, but the statute says it has to have been issued within the last 5 years. I wonder if the author believes (whether mistakenly or otherwise) that the background check is good enough.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I had the same thought. Matt Brass is my Senator if you or GCO needs any assistance. Otherwise I will wait to hear.

10. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Or perhaps they spit out the proposed bill without giving specific thought to the ramifications. Of course, they NEVER do that. :)

11. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Whether a new license is issued or not (If the statute didn’t require “issued”), there’d have to be some evidence/proofs show of a new background check done in last 5 years, given a legislative goal of having some reasonably new BCG at time of purchase.

What problem is this bill trying to solve?

12. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Framework for an omnibus bill? If not, why bother?

If this is the crumbs we are supposed to get, they are not even tasty crumbs.

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

If you have a relationship with him, you might ask him about it, what the purpose is and is he aware of NICS implications.

14. P Kelly

P Kelly New Member

So do I have to pay a fee when I move and change counties? Because that's what I understand. So It wouldn't do me any good until after I move to my final residence for the rest of my life.

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Georgia has no County Weapon License, it has a Georgia Weapon License that's good weather you move or not.

You can always pay and have your address updated but it's not required.