2019-20 - HB 787 Crimes and offenses; weapons carry license reciprocity in this st

Discussion in 'Current Bills' started by BG_Atl, Jan 17, 2020.

1. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

2019-2020 Regular Session - HB 787 Crimes and offenses; weapons carry license reciprocity in this state; expand
    http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20192020/HB/787

Sponsored By
    (1) Ballinger, Mandi 23rd(2) Jasperse, Rick 11th(3) Powell, Alan 32nd
    (4) Momtahan, Martin 17th(5) LaHood, John 175th(6) Gravley, Micah 67th

Committees

HC: SC:

First Reader Summary

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Code Section 16-11-126 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons, license requirement, and exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions, so as to expand weapons carry license reciprocity in this state; to provide that persons who are not residents of this state shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state if licensed to carry in any other state; to provide that the Attorney General shall enter into an agreement with any state that requires an agreement to recognize and give effect to weapons carry licenses for reciprocity; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Status History

Jan/16/2020 - House Hopper

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

This really is not good for GWCL holders. If those in states that do not honor the GWCL have nothing to gain because they can carry here on their carry license there is no reason for them to push for their state to accept Georgia's carry license.

Phil1979 likes this.

3. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Well, the trend among freedom loving states has been for states to grant unconditional reciprocity.........lately. Virginia went this way just a couple years ago that allowed GWCL holders to CC while in there. (Use to have to OC to carry there). Now Virginia has a bill that will wipe out almost all reciprocity agreements.

Another good thing about this bill is it gives us another bill to amend with other pro-carry amendments and move forward.

4. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

I think Puerto Rico’s new law granted reciprocity to any other state’s permit.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It did, and this is a good trend. I do understand it carries the downside of removing the "stick" approach of refusing to recognize other state's licenses if they refuse to recognize Georgia. I still think this is a good bill and a good direction for Georgia, as it recognizes the fundamental human right of self defense for persons visiting here from the minority of states with no reciprocity.

I am hoping for renewed interest in a "right to travel" approach to the right to keep and bear arms one of these days. The Second Circuit already recognized it "but for" there being no Second Amendment right applicable to an individual in a pre-Heller decision involving a Navy Seal who regularly visited his mama in New York. The right to travel cases basically say that a state cannot deny non-residents fundamental rights. It has been applied to abortion and access to the courts and in a few other situations. The Navy Seal case sought to apply it to the right to bear arms, and the Second Circuit basically said, "Good argument, but there is no fundamental right to bear arms that applies to an individual, as opposed to a state organized militia." Since Heller, of course, it would appear that this would be a good case to argue again, ESPECIALLY in the Second Circuit, citing the prior case and seeking an update in light of Heller.

As to this bill, however, I support it, as I support any extension of the State of Georgia recognizing the fundamental human right of self defense by decriminalizing yet one more category of bearing arms.

tmoore912 and timbrubaker like this.
  6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Can states withhold a right from citizens of other states when visiting or doing business trips to that State? Since when are rights found in the U.S. Constitution subject to a 90+ day residency requirement before they can be exercised?
    The "carrot and stick" approach isn't lawful or moral if the "stick" is waved in violation of the Second Amendment, and the dormant Commerce Clause (implicit federal preemption of state laws that unreasonably burden interstate commerce and give advantages to locals).

7. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

You never know if the guy watching your six might be visiting from CA, NY, NJ, HI, etc. I'll take all the help I can get when things go sideways.

phantoms and tmoore912 like this.
  8. A. McClure

A. McClure Well-Known Member

It passed committee today....unanimously

9. A. McClure

Correction, it passed sub-committee unanimously.

10. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The bill should also be amended to say that any Georgia citizen who carries in a state that does not recognize our weapons license but where we allow their citizens to carry here, that a criminal charge of carrying without a license in that state will not negatively effect a Georgia citizen's eligibility to maintain or renew their GWL.

For why should we be penalized if they aren't?

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I think some of these nibbling around the edges bills should get beefed up. We are looking to carry in more places here in Georgia.

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I do not like this and never have. It keeps coming back up all the time and with luck can be killed this time as well. IF this goes through we will not have people in those states that even bother to care to fight for the GWCL to be accepted in their state. This is not a good idea for GWCL holders. It only benefits those in other states and we get nothing in return.

13. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

This bill was just passed by the House Public Safety Committee with a "Do Pass" recommendation to the House.

14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

So Ga is going to every state recognition?

Nemo

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It passed its first committee. Still has a long way to go from bill to law.

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Bravo Ga (for getting started) Bravo

We had some issues with that in the past and some again this year.

Nemo

17. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I hope for the sake of those with a GWCL this fails in short order. We need the help of those in states that do not accept the GWCL. If they can just carry here they they will not fight within their own state to get the right to.

18. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

It doesn't matter. We only have 12 years before the Earth bursts into flames.

19. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

What will burn? The oceans will have flooded the land because the ice caps melted. Last I heard water doesn't burn...

20. A. McClure

This bill did not receive a floor vote in the House- its dead