2017 Eclipse for Kids?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gunsmoker, Aug 4, 2017.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

What will school children here in Atlanta and North Georgia due on August 21 when there is an eclipse of the sun at 2:30 in the afternoon ?

Will the children be released from school at the usual time? Or will they be held longer so that schools are not letting out and people trying to drive on the roads during the eclipse ?

If your kids are at school during the elipse (either because that's their normal time to be in school or because they are being held extra long) will they be allowed to look at the sky during the eclipse ?
    Will they even be allowed to be outdoors, or near a window inside the school building ?

Or will big brother insist that they take shelter in the hallways away from any exterior windows so that none of them could look skyward and possibly damage their eyes ?

If you send your school kid to school with a pair of solar viewing glasses, which can be ordered online for three or four bucks a set, will your child be allowed to use those glasses on the afternoon of August 21 ?

Or will your child be ordered to hold his head between his knees in the fetal position hiding under a desk to keep him "safe."

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Just to clarify something about safety: only a tiny piece of extreme northeast Georgia will be in the path of totality.
    The rest of us will see between 90 and 99% blockage of the sun, but the small percent of sun that remains shining will be enough to damage anybody's eyes .

Even for those who are in the path of totality, there is the potential for eye damage during the long period of partial blockage before the moon reaches the perfect position to fully block the sun. And after totality ends, there will be another long period of partial blockage as the moons dark form slips away from the sun.

So yes, there is risk of having people look at the sun and hurt their eyes.

3. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

My kids school (Forsyth County) is keeping them longer that day so that nobody is on the bus during the event.

4. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

My grandkids are coming to the house for an eclipse party. Moonpies and Sun Kist for the kids and Blue Moon Beer and Sun Chips for the adults.

5. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust my eyes to a $3-$4 Chinese knock-off glasses purchased online.

6. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

7. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Sad, but true. That said, glasses can be had for $1.98 at Lowes.

Me either, so I did the logical thing and tested my Lowes pair. ;) No problems.

This baffles me. Because buses have never driven in twilight? Because children (ages 6+) haven't ever seen the sun and learned not to stare at it?

Perhaps the schools should cancel the buses on Aug 22. Because the sun will rise and it will not even be partially obscured by the moon. 100% intensity to incinerate our precious little vampire children.

Meanwhile, we are travelling to the center-line to observe totality. It will be an unexcused absence, despite being far more educational that anything happening at school. I would attempt to explain that to the attendance office, but I truly don't care.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  8. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

A lot of schools have announced they are extending hours. One spokesperson noted that Atlanta drivers are notoriously bad even without a solar eclipse distracting them so it was just safer not to have kids on the roads during that event. Many schools have scheduled science events around the eclipse. THe general sense is they want kids to see it, just safely.

I have a set of smoked glasses that were originally used to safely look into a operating 150 ton per hour electric arc furnace. I have used them before to directly observe the sun. I think I will be OK.

9. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

10. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

After reading this: https://www.space.com/37698-solar-eclipse-glasses-safety-check.html
    I'm starting to wonder what the point of risking any pair of glasses is. Basically all you will be able to see is a round disk being eclipsed. It will not be any different than a pin-hole image or "view it projected down from a pair of binoculars".
    I noticed some of the eclipse glasses on Amazon are now "Unavailable" and others have gone way up in price.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  11. tsangster

tsangster Member

Input from OCSO Facebook page:

Sheriff Scott Berry announces that on Monday, August 21, at about the time your kids are riding home from school on the bus that there will be a solar eclipse of the sun as celestial forces no one understands will blot out the sun. It is very likely this is the end of life on this planet as we know it.
    As your Sheriff I expect each of you to begin panicking today. There is no need to wait til Sunday night to buy bread and milk. The shelves will be empty already as vast hordes descend on grocery stores. If you wait, the only thing left will be potted meat and knock off brand cereal with such names as "RaisinO's" and "CheeriBran"
    Don't look at the eclipse, unless of course you live in the backwoods of Tennessee. In that case no one will hear you scream as you stumble blindly into a moonshine still or a bear trap. Millions of Americans are blinded every week by staring directly into the sun, eclipse or not. Don't do it.
    Your sunglasses will not protect you from certain death if you look at the sun. However, for a mere $29.99 (plus $9.00 shipping and handling) you can order "stare directly at the sun wearing these" glasses from NASA and the Home Shopping Network.
    Pregnant women should smoke and drink liquor during the eclipse. This will prevent radioactive waves from making your ankles swell and being grouchy most of the time. Meanwhile, your other children will be on the school bus wondering why it got dark so early. An afternoon snack of potted meat will encourage then to ignore the end of the world as we know it.
    Leading scientists tell us that post eclipse the only two things they expect to survive are cockroaches and Facebook. Wait, is that one thing or two things????

12. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

13. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Atlanta, Fulton school systems to extend school day for eclipse

I ordered NASA-approved glasses for my family and we'll probably head up somewhere with 100% totality for the day. My kids are too young for school (and why are kids in school in mid-August anyway??) but if they weren't, I'd probably take them out and do the same thing.

14. Taurus92

So you're saying traffic is not going to be fun. This is going to be worse than N. Ga in the fall.

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Check your local public library. Nationwide they are reportedly handing out free eye protection that meets all necessary protection requirements.

Nemo

16. dam294

dam294 Active Member

Yeah. I checked my local library. Gwinnett County Hamilton Mill Branch. Apparently I have to go there at 6:00 pm on 8/14 (with god knows how many other people) to make a pinhole viewer to "earn your very own pair of solar eclipse glasses!"

Screw that! I guess I've made it this far in life without seeing one, so I won't really miss this one.

17. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Catoosa is pushing the dismissal time to 30 minutes later. Parents can sign a form allowing their child to go view outside with school provided glasses, or they can stay in and watch on a TV. Parents can come watch also.

They cited safety concerns about driving during the eclipse. I think they mean idiots trying to watch while driving rather than problems with it being dark.

Hamilton County, TN canceled school to prevent liability if kids burn their eyes while in their care.

Lowe's had a bunch of glasses, but are now sold out. I too have seen either back ordered glasses, increased prices, or unknown (new) third party sellers on Amazon. The supply has changed dramatically in the last week.

18. Squid

Squid Gun pecan

I have 30 of the https://www.eclipseglasses.com/
    $10 each :rotfl:

19. Taurus92

Oh, it's going to be hard to miss.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/NASA_map_508.pdf

The problem is the natural desire to see why the lights went out in the middle of day. Atlanta looks to be about at the 96% zone.

20. Taurus92