2017 - A Very Special and Important Year!

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Phil1979, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Because of all the things that happened last year in the General Assembly and the Courts, 2017 should prove to be very interesting, pivotal, important, critical - all of the above.

What sorts of things should we now be doing to help insure a good outcome in the upcoming session?

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I know most know this, but for any new people reading, getting to know your Senator and House Rep on the Georgia State level and taking them to lunch, and demanding that you pay is the most important thing we each can do individually. Most are really great people. Be very nice and kind to them, they have a good bit of control when taken as a whole. Talk to them, email them nicely and politely. Let them know you're feelings on firearm issues that are important to you.

3. alnen

alnen Active Member

We need numbers and a plan to override Deal's vetoes, and that goes for more than 2a issues. We were right at the number threshold last session (just below), but I was told at that time, even with if we had the numbers, overriding a veto in GA is all but impossible. I'd like to know more about this and how to overcome it.

4. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

What's the current D/R balance of the Georgia Legislature after this past election? Republicans taking the House and Senate were national news, but I haven't heard a peep about the state.

5. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

One thing to start with, is renewing membership in GeorgiaCarry.org.

Second thing: recruit everyone you know, who is supportive of the 2d Amendment, to take a concrete step by joining GeorgiaCarry.org.

There's a good start.

6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

This. With a republican president recruiting will suffer. We need to at least maintain and preferably grow.

7. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

This x1000.
    Please keep in mind that we are also potentially approaching conditions in the legislature that existed in the early 1990s -- when the legislature was Democrat and flipped Republican almost overnight. So keep working on Democrat legislators as well because we are toast if we make the 2A a Republican-only issue in Georgia and the party balance swings Democrat.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I think the flip was more toward the mid to late 1990's and it didn't help much until the past few years. Seems our RP reps and senate are reluctant to step up and undo all the wrongs the Democrat control inflicted on the people of Georgia during the many years they were in total dictatorship. Even with Republican Governors progress is at all but a stand still. This is because once elected they like the power the Democrats instilled in the office and are just unwilling to reset the clock.

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

This. My state senator is someone that's never held a real job, has never kept an appointment with me, and ran unopposed because he is a Republican in a safe seat. He has no motivation to take ANY controversial stance that doesn't benefit him IMHO. My state Rep on the other hand is a great guy and easy to contact. He's supported 2A issues every time they've come up and doesn't really need any push in that direction.

10. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

In one election there were more incumbent Democrats on the ballot than any other option. The next election there were more incumbent Republicans. Most of the same people stayed in office; they just changed the party name on the advertising.

My point stands though, if we want to go about vilifying people or parties, we'll have to be content with what we get. If we want to build strong relationships with candidates and parties on both sides, then our agenda can still advance regardless of election results or advertised parties.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Gun laws were getting worse and worse (school carry made a felony, transportation off limits and airports made a felony) until GCO came along.