2017-18 Legislative Initiatives

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by 00Dan, Nov 16, 2016.

1. 00Dan

00Dan Member

Now that prefiling has begun I think this is a good time for this topic.

What are we looking for this year? We always have our "pie in the sky" goals such as complete elimination of prohibited places. Seeing as how the Governor is rather hostile to most of those at this moment, what can be expected to push through?

Is there anything beyond carry laws that we are keeping an eye on?

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The GA General Assembly needs to have a strong spine and refuse to pass ANY of Gov. Deal's pet projects if he doesn't come around to supporting the rights of Georgians to defend themselves with firearms in "school zones", churches, and ALL local and state public property that is not a "government building", courtroom, jail, or mental institution.

3. A. McClure

A. McClure Well-Known Member

I only have one. Adding license holders to the exempted list in 16-11-130. That's it.

4. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

:ditto:

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Short of Constitutional Carry I'll agree with that as a good step forward.

6. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Baby steps: remove polling places from the list. Remove government buildings in general (i.e., bypass the security screening all those municipalities put into place). Further decriminalize church carry by explicitly codifying that a violation (the fine) does not count as one of the disqualifiers for license renewal. In other words, essentially neuter the church carry prohibition while throwing a bone to the churches.

Find some way to neuter the school zone law on college campuses--perhaps making a violation a fine with no jail time and no record?

Wish list:

7. A. McClure

A. McClure Well-Known Member

Governor Deal isn't going to sign off on any of that anymore than he is going to sign off on adding license holders to the exempted list.....at least not without some enticement. And nobody seems to want to discuss override of his vetoes. He is going to have to be made (forced) to sign anything. A bill needs to be pushed thru very early and sent to him within the first 10 Legislative days and bills he wants passed need to be held until he signs. Absolutely no waiting until Crossover Day. We tried the 'pretty please' approach with 859 and 1060 and they failed, and he stymied us with 826. Time to either play hardball this year or sit it out until he leaves. We have the momentum. Either push for a strong bill or none at all. The GOP in Atlanta need look no further than Trump's election that we, the voters, are thru with the same old routine. Like it's been said before about passing gun bills in a Republican dominated state government, "It shouldn't be this hard". Perhaps, with a little applied heat and pressure, it won't be.

I like to think that Deal's school takeover bid being shot down so soundly is payback for vetoing some very good bills. His agenda is very much in trouble. That needs to be exploited. Imagine it, at the very end of the 16-11-130 list, "....and those persons possessing a valid Georgia Weapons Carry License".

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  8. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

THIS! This, and only this! They would have to show that they don't trust most of us. If we start working now, we can put enough of us in front of enough cameras, to soften them enough to go for it. We've busted our butts just to get kicked in the nuts last year. I am sure this is the only way to go. I'm sick of dancing with the devil. I don't want to work with the lot that are slimy snakes. I want to work with the public and get them to convince the law makers.

9. Phil1979

Spot on with everything you wrote!

1. Absolutely, we've GOT to have a great bill out of the chute within the first 10 days! No more last minute down to the wire stuff. Have Deal sign it pronto, or nothing he wants gets passed for the rest of the session. NOTHING. It's gloves off, baby!

2. Trump's win should help give some fence sitters a little more spine. We highly value our rights and want them restored in a MEANINGFUL way!

3. Deal's school takeover bid was soundly shot down, because every single person who values their carry rights and saw Deal on TV asking people to vote yes, said to themselves, "Well that means I should vote NO!" That's precisely what I did.

Interesting that Deal could bring us in harmony with the Teacher's Union on at least something. And, it had to have had an effect on Deal knowing this was the ONLY proposition that was voted down.

10. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This, I could live with this.

11. EJR914

Since Deal seems hostile to big things, why not go small and just get something small passed, until we can possibly get a non blue dog democrat as Governor?

12. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Let's clean up and tighten up what we have. Pass everything we did last year EXCEPT campus carry and church opt-out. Those were the stated reasons for veto so everything else should be good. That is the starting position. Anything short of that should be considered a failure.

Work on better definitions for government building that can bar lawful carriers. Clarify the law so that even a biased liberal judge cannot make up the right to exclude lawful carriers on leased state property. Something like "Leaseholders of state property shall not exclude lawful carriers. The state does not have this right except as defined in <code section XYZ> and can not confer, transfer, or delegate rights it does not have."

Put some teeth in the GWCL issue timeline requirements. Make the Probate Judge liable or make them sign a petition to their county government outlining a 90 day remediation plan and requesting resources sufficient to fulfill their obligations. After 90 days, make the county government officials personally liable if the resources are not granted.

I actually like the "honor ours and we will honor yours" definition of reciprocity. If you live in a slave state, you should get to enjoy ALL the benefits.

13. Phil1979

Not only state owned property - city and county property as well.

14. Phil1979

And if we can't get church carry and K-12/College carry, then make those only subject to a $100 fine for licensed carriers, with no negative effect on renewing your weapons license.

15. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

I really like the "nuclear option" of sending him a bill early
    with the idea that nothing gets through until it is signed.
    He won't like being held hostage by his own party, but he
    also won't want the legacy of being a lame duck with his
    own party. Let him decide how he wants to be remembered.

Adding license holders to the exempted list would be great!

16. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Since cities and counties are political subdivisions of the state, their property is technically state property. Given the willfully obtuse judges we often face, I would not mind spelling that out explicitly.

17. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I like these ideas. And the idea of a package, except campus carry and church carry opt out, that can be put forward.

As was stated above, it is frustrating to see that the status of publicly owned property that is leased is still unclear, ie, Infinity Center is on again/off again, the Rome airport issue, etc. Not sure how, but I wish that could be fixed finally.

18. alnen

alnen Active Member

I'm on board with adding gwcl holders to the exempt list. Baby steps are great when you're moving forward, but baby steps while marching in place are no more beneficial than going for a giant leap.

We know the Deal will block/veto ANYTHING 2a related. What we need is something big. After that, we need the ability to override Deal's veto. I know this is tough in ga, but it's all I've got to contribute to the think tank.

19. EJR914

Georgia Schools. Leaving them wide open for a mass shooting to occur at an elementary school by some nut job.

Attached Files:

20. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

I am in complete agreement .
    Do you think Rick Jasperse would be willing to submit such a bill ?