Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feds carried out 27.5 million gun-related background checks in 2016, which is about 4.4 million more than 2015

BY: Stephen Gutowski
January 4, 2017 2:05 pm

The FBI ran 27.5 million gun-related background checks in 2016â€"about 4.4 million more than any other year on record.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System processed 2,771,159 background checks in December, bringing 2016’s total to 27,538,673, according to FBI records posted on Wednesday. That dwarfs the firearms check record of 23,141,970 set the previous year.

NICS firearms background checks are considered an accurate metric of gun sales.

The FBI processed twice as many firearms checks in 2016, the last full year of President Obama’s administration, than it did in 2008, the year Obama was elected. During President Obama’s eight-year tenure, the FBI has processed 157,233,157 firearms checksâ€"61,249,149 more than the previous ten years.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,695 Posts
This is somewhat surprising, but if you think of it, many folks were driven by fear in the last few months of the year to buy a firearm, before what they thought was the inevitable election of Hillary Clinton.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
You can also chalk some up to California in the days just before Christmas. FFL's couldn't keep AR's or AK's in stock because of the 10 day wait and the new law going into effect on 01/01/2017. The one thing the Democrats are very good at is driving firearm sales to the max.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
i think the mean will continue to increase until the collapse of the US. whatever people's political leanings, i think deep down they know things aren't right, and aren't going to get better without getting much worse first.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
i think the mean will continue to increase until the collapse of the US. whatever people's political leanings, i think deep down they know things aren't right, and aren't going to get better without getting much worse first.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38297345

It isn't just conservatives. The post-election day black Friday numbers are impressive: 185,713.

·
69,784 Posts
OK, if I have a state issued carry license in an exempt state, and I buy a firearm, does that show up as an FBI background check?

NICS firearms background checks are considered an accurate metric of gun sales.
NICS was run when I applied for my license. If I never buy a gun or I bought 25 of them in 2016, how can this be "an accurate metric of gun sales?"

Pretty much everybody on this web site buying guns has a GWCL. Most other states have an exemption. Aren't licensed carriers the ones most likely to be buying?

·
69,784 Posts
ATF-qualified permits are those thatâ€"
  • allow an applicant to possess, acquire, or carry a firearm
  • were issued not more than 5 years earlier by the state where the transfer is to take place, after an authorized government official verified that possession of a firearm by the applicant would not be a violation of law.
All permits issued since November 29, 1998, must have included a NICS check. Many NICS-alternative permits
may be used for multiple purchases while valid.
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/bcft12st.pdf

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,413 Posts
Regarding the "accuracy" statement, the same author said this last October.

By Stephen Gutowski
Published October 04, 2016
Washington Free Beacon

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/0...d-background-checks-break-monthly-record.html
The FBI’s accounting of how many NICS checks were processed in a month is considered one of the most accurate metrics for judging gun sales. Virtually all sales made through licensed gun dealers must include a NICS check. Some states require sales between private parties to include an NICS check as well.

The number is not a one-to-one measure, however.

“These statistics represent the number of firearm background checks initiated through the NICS,†a note on the FBI report cautioned. “They do not represent the number of firearms sold. Based on varying state laws and purchase scenarios, a one-to-one correlation cannot be made between a firearm background check and a firearm sale.â€
I would think the best metric would be the manufacturers report, but that comes out 2 years after the fact.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
OK, if I have a state issued carry license in an exempt state, and I buy a firearm, does that show up as an FBI background check?

NICS was run when I applied for my license. If I never buy a gun or I bought 25 of them in 2016, how can this be "an accurate metric of gun sales?"

Pretty much everybody on this web site buying guns has a GWCL. Most other states have an exemption. Aren't licensed carriers the ones most likely to be buying?
it's a fair point. having lived in prior, and currently living in constitutional carry states, i know some guys that maintain a carry license just for the NICS exemption.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
One can purchase more than a single firearm on a single NICS check too.
Yes they can. However if you buy more than one handgun at the same time even with an exempt license from an FFL then a special form is filled with the ATF by the FFL.

In other words if I go into WWT and buy 2 or more handguns and bypass the NICS with my GWCL then the ATF will still be notified that I purchased 2 or more handguns at the same time on the same day. However if I buy 1 from WWT then go down the street to AO and buy another the ATF will more than likely never know about it.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Yes they can. However if you buy more than one handgun at the same time even with an exempt license from an FFL then a special form is filled with the ATF by the FFL.

In other words if I go into WWT and buy 2 or more handguns and bypass the NICS with my GWCL then the ATF will still be notified that I purchased 2 or more handguns at the same time on the same day. However if I buy 1 from WWT then go down the street to AO and buy another the ATF will more than likely never know about it.
Thus furthering the conclusion that the reported numbers are probably a good deal smaller than the actual number of firearms sold.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
However if you buy more than one handgun at the same time even with an exempt license from an FFL then a special form is filled with the ATF by the FFL.
Um, why? Why is the ATF notified? That sounds ridiculous. Why do we even have the ATF again?

·
69,784 Posts

I am not sure that those notifications are included in these numbers, which are based on the NICS check. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Well that actually makes sense. I still don't like it though.
It makes perfect sense that the government assumes you're trafficking weapons because you want to buy 2 handguns or 2 evil black rifles at the same time. Yes, perfect sense. :screwy:

Does the government fill out those ATF multiple sales forms when they sell hundreds of thousands of handguns and/or evil black rifles to their various state clients? I didn't think so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts