2013 Deer Hunting Season

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by tmoore912, Sep 3, 2013.

1. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Who has been getting ready for opening of Bow Hunting Season on September 14th?

[​IMG]

2. Stick

Stick New Member

I'm ready! Been working on a new place I leased this year in Screven county. Finished our food plots with some soybeans yesterday just in time for the rain. It can't get here soon enough for me!

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

There is some pretty good deer hunting down their in Screven, been down there a lot when I was younger. Family owns 1600 acres on the Jenkins- Screven County Line. Right outside Millen, between Millen and I think Rocky Ford, GA.

Wish I could be doing that on my birthday, but I'll be working I think.

4. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

There are big deer in Jenkins and Screven county. I have seen them. A buddy of mine has 700 acres on the Jenkins/Screven county line off Buttermilk Road between Silvania and Millen. Sadly I don't hunt up there as much as I use to.

This one was shot up at his place. Shooter was a neighboring farmer invited over for a afternoon hunt. Right place at the right time.

[​IMG]

5. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I already have my place staked in Folsom/adairsville. 17 deer counted in the open field yesterday 8am. Some nice bucks have been spotted and I'm ready :) Stand went up last week. I've reloaded my rounds for this season, i should be bringing home the "bacon" so to speak :)

6. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

I have my Mathews tuned and ready.

7. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

[​IMG]

Sawtooth Oaks are getting hit hard. I'm set up 30 yards away.

[​IMG]

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Breathe in the fresh air. The cold front has moved through here and it's crisp outside here, mid fifties.

9. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Have to move my stand this morning.. Then headed to johns mtn to tune in the 270 savage. Hats off to bow hunters, I don't like tracking my deer lol. Beautiful crisp morning too loving the fall weather! Good luck hope you see a monster.

10. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Who has already had success this season?

I had no luck the one weekend I went bow hunting. Black powder is going on now, and rifle season opens up this Saturday.

I checked my zero on my Remington SPS .308 and Marlin 336 .30-30 at the range yesterday.

Looking forward to a weekend in the woods.

11. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

I shot a 4 pt opening day of bow season. I have a nice 8 pt on cam behind my house. I'll be going after him AGAIN this weekend if I don't go to Polk County for opening day of rifle season. I may hunt close to home since I not too particularly fond of roughing it in the rain.

12. RMelton

RMelton New Member

I shot a nice 7 last Saturday, but I hit him in the shoulder and only got a few inches of pentration. Looked for hours even called in a dog. Never found him or blood for that matter. Found my broken arrow and that was it. Going back this weekend. I will have the bow, but the wife will have my AR-15.

13. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Is there public hunting land in Polk?

I haven't been out in years and NEED some venison.

14. Ranger

Ranger Member

After not seeing anything during bow season I was finally able to connect on a 110 lb doe this past weekend at our lease in Jenkins County with the muzzle loader, went back Monday and got a nice 155 lb eight pointer then 30 minutes later I got another doe, this one at 105 lbs.
    Got the .270 dialed in and can't wait to get on a bean field Saturday morning, might go down to the creek in the evening and sit in a white oak bottom.
    Should be a great weekend, found scrapes and rubs all around the property and I've heard reports of them starting to chase already, got a couple small bucks sparring in cam but I'm after another 8 point I've had on camera for three years, but have never seen hide nor hair in person...

15. JR

JR New Member

Sounds like you had a successful couple days. I'm looking forward to Saturday, down on the edge of Harris County. Luckily, my wife is very on board with me hunting as much as I can to stock the freezer this season.

16. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  17. Ranger

Ranger Member

Thanks, I'm pretty fortunate when it comes to being able to hunt, no kids, wife doesn't care, but doesn't hunt and loves venison, only downside is the hour drive to the lease.
    Also, our lease is bordered by two QDM clubs with a 8 point 15" spread rules so we have ample opportunity to see nice deer, that and only 4 members on over 400 acres really improves the odds.
    Last season just myself alone took 3 does, a 8 point, a big 6 point, and a button head that I thought was a really big doe.
    I'm in the woods at least three days a week, those three deer will feed us over a year so now I'm just watching them/ waiting on said trophy.
    Most likely will get a doe or two for a few people that can't go or don't hunt but like venison.
    Here's last years 8 pointer.

[​IMG]

And here's the mount.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would not have thought there was good hunting in DeKalb!

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why don't you adopt similar QDM rules for your 400 acres? Otherwise you are just undermining what the two other clubs adjacent to you are accomplishing.

20. Ranger

Ranger Member

To tell the truth, that's why there's only four of us on lease, we were all in clubs before that had similar rules as our neighbouring clubs, I was in one that everything had to be mounted, and we all decided that we just wanted to hunt, not horn hunting.
    Plus, everything we've taken would fit their rules other than the button head, which is still tagged as an antlerless deer anyway.