20-year-old sues Dick’s and Walmart for not selling him a gun

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GlockGary, Mar 7, 2018.

1. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

Motopackin likes this.
  2. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Well, it IS against the law to discriminate based upon age, IANAL.

3. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

I was hoping this would happen. Now we'll see if they take age discrimination seriously, or if its just another stunt.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

Young adults aren't a protected class though. I know it varies by state.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

But there is a Federal law that sets the standard and determines what is acceptable and what isn't. Violation of that standard based solely on age is surely discrimination.

Nemo

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I didn't think discrimination was wrong unless you discriminated against a protected class? Varies by state of course.

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

He is suing under a Oregon state law that specifically outlaws age discrimination in public accommodations such as retail establishments. He is gonna make them bake him a cake.

8. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

No, he is going to make them sell him a pre-made cake.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yep - Most of the cake baking cases involve owners who say they are happy to sell a cake already on the shelf to homosexuals. The California case recently decided in favor of the owner (there is a thread on here active yesterday) involved a written opinion by the judge who said the case would have gone against the owner had he refused to sell one already on the shelf, as that would be no different then selling homosexuals a set of tires. The difference is that the action against the cake shop owner is seeking to force him to create one against his will . . .

10. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I agree completely on the pre-baked vs. custom baked. If you read back in the thread, I referred to the baker's creations as "custom sculptures" that happen to use the medium of baked goods, frosting, and fondant. But "Bake me a damn cake" is so satisfying. Take the new rules the left has imposed and shove them right back down their throats.

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. Malum Prohibitum

If 18-21 year olds are denied all rights to self defense, then they are adults, on their own, defenseless.

This comes from a society that has been over-mothering its kids and not letting them grow up, especially boys.

Society used to encourage boys to be men, to grow up, to take on responsibility, to create things, to work hard . . . As boys they were allowed to be outside, to exercise, and to take risks, to roam and explore, something boys naturally want to do . . . Now society tells them to shut up and sit still, raise your hand and ask permission to go to the bathroom, do not play outside all day, take drugs to make the teacher's job easier, and do "collaboration" projects working together with other students. Parents keep them close to home, or indoors, and many do not even fire a weapon as a child or spend the night outside or walk into the wilderness out of sight of civilization and other persons.

Schweisshund, AtlPhilip and rmodel65 like this.
  13. Malum Prohibitum

An 18 year old woman, living on her own, does not deserve the fundamental human right of self defense, is what these persons are saying.

14. Malum Prohibitum

For what it's worth, I do not agree with such laws. While I appreciate the ironic humor, I think businesses should be free to set their terms as they wish and deal with whom they wish and sell only what they wish to whom they wish for any reason that strikes their fancy. Liberty means we do not get to control what others do.

I prefer liberty, even when it means other persons do something that I, if I were given control and authority over that other person, might choose for them to do differently.

I am not just for liberty for cake bakers.

The government has no business telling a person what he may or may not sell and to whom.

15. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

^^^ This.

And it is not a far leap from telling Dicks how it must conduct itself on it's private property, and telling you how you must conduct yourself on yours.

16. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Agreed and if it was just the Dick's was refusing to sell certain firearms or firearm accessories (or any firearms/firearm accessories for that matter), I wouldn't have an issue with it. It is when they actively campaign against our rights that I take issue with them. They are moving beyond a simple retailer supplier to a political action committee. That's also technically their right, but it welcomes a whole different level of criticism of their actions.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  17. Malum Prohibitum

Oh, but I do have an issue with it, big time. It's just that I do not advocate all my issues with what others do become laws and force others to do what I want them to do.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  18. wee

wee Active Member

I think the age to Vote, drink alcohol, buy a gun, sign up for the draft or join the Military should all be one in the same.

Brian

AtlPhilip likes this.
  19. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

I agree. And I think that age should be 18.

However, if a business refuses to sell a gun (or beer, whatever) to an individual, that should be their right. And let the free market take care of those who refuse to do business with 18 year olds.

GlockGary likes this.
  20. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

That is precisely what Rep. Jose Oliva said in his closing remarks (in support of the bill), right before the Florida House voted on their companion bill to SB 7026 outlawing young adults from buying any type of long gun in a gun store.

He basically said it was no big deal. That it was just a "judgement call".

He said it was okay to ban 18-20 year olds from buying long guns, because 17 year olds were banned from buying them.

And he basically said it didn't matter that 18 year old single mothers were out of luck. Tough.

He could have made the same argument to prohibit those under 35. After all, he said verbatim, "We aren't infringing on anyone's rights".

https://thefloridachannel.org/videos/3-7-18-house-session-part-3/

Start watching at 2:31:00.

Because you can't be President until you are 35, then well, "we can pick any age we want to delay the exercise of your rights".