Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear there seems to be more of this stuff lately or I am just reading more about it...

Man pistol-whipped during armed robbery
| | Story updated at 10:35 PM on Sunday, April 1, 2007
An Athens man was pistol-whipped Friday night during an armed robbery on Chalfont Lane, according to police.

Three men were standing outside an apartment complex when two men in black hoodies approached them with guns and demanded money, according to a police report.

One of the victims thought the robbery was a joke and said, "What?" One of the robbers hit him in the cheek with a gun and made the others lie on the ground, police said.

The victims handed the robbers their wallers, and they left.

The injured man was treated on the scene.
and then another
Two Colbert men robbed at gunpoint
| | Story updated at 10:35 PM on Sunday, April 1, 2007
Two Colbert men were robbed at gunpoint Friday morning outside an apartment complex off North Avenue, according to police.

The men were sitting in a truck in the Garden Apartments parking lot, when another man approached and asked for the time.

He then pulled out a handgun and demanded money, according to a police report. The victims gave him $25, and he ran into the woods as witnesses approached, police said.

The robber was described as a black male, 5-feet-8 inches tall, 140 pounds, and wore a hooded camoflauge jacket.

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on 040107
so I am wondering.... what do ya'll do when an unknown person approaches you and asks for money? or how close do you let an unknown person get to you. I tend not to let anyone closer than about 10 feet unless I know them. If they ask for money I tend to ignore them or say sorry don't have any which is not a lie, I only carry a credit card.... so how does one prevent these things.

granted these happened in less than diserable locations but the north avenue one is close to were I used to work parttime at night.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Try to remain vigilant about your surroundings.
In car keep windows up and doors locked.
If on foot, maybe crossing street to see if they pursue, if they follow, then I would consider it a threat if there is no where to retreat to.

Not sure if that was any help, just my opinion

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I agree with maddog on those points. I wouldnt roll windows down for anybody. However I do usually have my window down during warmer weather.

Its all judgement call I would say. I have only had 3 or 4 occurances with people approaching my truck. Usually my piece is on my hip with one hand on it in these cases. I usually try to avoid it by rolling windows up before they get anywhere close. That has worked in the times I mentioned. They usually turn away at that point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts