2 unrelated armed robberies in athens

Discussion in 'In the News' started by glockgirl, Apr 1, 2007.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I swear there seems to be more of this stuff lately or I am just reading more about it...

and then another
    so I am wondering.... what do ya'll do when an unknown person approaches you and asks for money? or how close do you let an unknown person get to you. I tend not to let anyone closer than about 10 feet unless I know them. If they ask for money I tend to ignore them or say sorry don't have any which is not a lie, I only carry a credit card.... so how does one prevent these things.

granted these happened in less than diserable locations but the north avenue one is close to were I used to work parttime at night.

2. maddog

maddog New Member

Try to remain vigilant about your surroundings.
    In car keep windows up and doors locked.
    If on foot, maybe crossing street to see if they pursue, if they follow, then I would consider it a threat if there is no where to retreat to.

Not sure if that was any help, just my opinion

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I agree with maddog on those points. I wouldnt roll windows down for anybody. However I do usually have my window down during warmer weather.

Its all judgement call I would say. I have only had 3 or 4 occurances with people approaching my truck. Usually my piece is on my hip with one hand on it in these cases. I usually try to avoid it by rolling windows up before they get anywhere close. That has worked in the times I mentioned. They usually turn away at that point.