2.5 YEARS in Fulton County - Approximately 882 days

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Taler, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Taler

Taler New Member

I applied in mid-september 2004, and I called again today to discover the license is ready for pick-up.

Mea culpa... I last called, left message, and asked for a return call in Aprilish last year - more than a year and a half after I first applied.

I had an issue that came to light after 6 months (in March 2005), and took another six weeks to resolve.

The court claimed today that they mailed the firearms license, and it was returned. I will pick it up either today, or next week, as other concerns take priority.

Steaming? Yes! I am going to ask questions, like with my phone numbers, SSN, and employment information (self employed), why not a simple phone call to let me know it was returned? I will also check whether they are giving me the full five years.

Thanks to MP, JRM, and, most recently, GCO (I am a member) who all offered help that I, for personal reasons, could not accept. Glad I've been able to send a buck or two.

Your (and My) government at work, denying rights.

Better stop now... maybe have a cold beverage and cool down.

T

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

For the math-challenged among us, that is two years and five months.

:shakehead:

882 days . . .

3. Foul

Foul New Member

That should be criminal. :evil:

4. Malum Prohibitum

Ah, come on, guys. Let's face it, Georgia is a "may issue" state, and the 60 day "shall issue" language in the law is a mere suggestion, and the report of the law enforcement agency really is required even though the statute states that it is not required, and SSNs can be extracted by threats even when there is a federal law barring the state from demanding the SSN, and the probate judge has discretion over whether to issue a requested temporary license at renewal time for $1 . . .

Um, :-k

Right?

:lol:

2 years and 5 months ain't so bad. That's pretty close to 60 days.

5. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

That is not bad if you look at it from a 70 year life span, it is closer to 60 days that way. :roll:

6. Taler

Taler New Member

You made me laugh about this S&W 40... Not that I'm really that close to seventy.

Taler

7. Taler

Taler New Member

Pick up story

Well, I picked up my GFL today at the probate court downtown in Atlanta. Interacted with the staff for five minutes, and needed to go stand outside for a while.

There are several things notable about the license and the pickup:

1 - The license was issued on 10-14-05. I applied in mid-September 2004. 13 months for issuance.

2 – License expires in 2010, so it’s a short license (from time of receipt).

3 – According to their records, the undeliverable mail was returned to them on 10-29-05. I asked why I was not contacted then, and the response was that they tried. (Why it was undeliverable, I have no idea, as the address on the license is the correct mailing address.) I asked to see the envelope in which it was originally sent, but of course, it was destroyed.

4 – The “hold for pickup†envelope was dated 12-29-05 and states “unable to contact to verify address hold for pickupâ€.

5 – Mine was in a stack of about 15 – 20 “hold for pickup†envelopes from 2005. She had five similarly sized stacks, with various past and current years labeling them.

I said I had called in April of last year, and received no phone call in return, even though, at that time they had the license available for pickup. (Guess I didn’t really ask a question) The clerk more or less harrumphed. I also said that they had “complete contact information for me and my employer, but you couldn’t reach me?†I didn’t bother telling them that at least the illegally obtained information was correct.

She handed me the license, harrumphed again, and I knew I needed to get outside.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Pick up story

:shock:

Harumph.

:lol:

Yeah, I am sure she is making three calls a day to each envelope in the various stackes you saw sitting there. Work, work, work!
    :D

9. Malum Prohibitum

I called her, and she worked hard and delivered all those envelopes to their proper owners already.

Everybody believes me, right?

:D

10. jason1

jason1 New Member

Why do we not get the Georgia House to pass a law that puts teeth to the 60 day law.Say maybe putting the probate judges in jail for 60 days for every license that is not issued in a timely manner for not following the law.If you do the math on every license that is not issued in that county then a probate judge could face a lot of jail time.If you break the law you should go to jail or face a fine not more then a 1,000 dollars for not giving someone there GFL. The State of Georgia need a oversight board for the probate judges to see if they are going by the law thats just my 2 cents on it.

11. Malum Prohibitum

I can't think of a single reason why not.

12. jason1

jason1 New Member

I see that Georgia really needs a oversight board kind like B,A,R for attorney's.So what do you think about fining the probate judges that don't follow the law or giving some kind of jail time.Why I see you should add jail time is because if I went to a courtroom and started calling the judge every dirty name in the book I could be held in contempt of court and I could be thrown in jail for it or be fined.I think the probate judges are contempt of the law this means that they should be treated like a normal courtroom would treat me if I was acting like a stupid jackass in front of the whole court.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Sounds like to me that it's a more of a " issue when I want to" state. :oops: