1st Time Shooting w/ Iron Sights at 300 & 400 yds

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by rjinga, Jun 9, 2017.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

Actually, I’ve never shot at those distances with a scoped rifle either, but I digress.

I’d been looking around for someplace to shoot past 100 yds for a few weeks. Today I visited, and joined, a gun and archery club that’s about an hour and a half (one-way) away. I wish it was closer, but the distance is doable, and the membership dues are very reasonable.

The rifle range has a covered shooting line with 16 tables and target stands at 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds. (I didn’t include the 50 yd target stands in the photo. And, the photo isn’t to scale.)
    [​IMG]

I was shooting Wolf Polyformance steel-cased ammunition out of a PTR 91, GI model. And, except for one 100 yd target, I did all of the shooting off of a table, using my ammo box and tube sock filled with airsoft bbs as a gun rest.

I “warmed-up†with 10 shots at a Shoot-N-C target at 200 yds. This was only the second time I’ve ever shot at this distance. (The coin is a dime.)
    [​IMG]
    The red circle is actually around two target stands. The Shoot-N-C was on one stand, and a green silhouette was on the other.

Then I fired 10 rounds at a green silhouette at 200 yds also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, I fired my first shots (10) ever at 300 yds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then I followed that up with my first 10 rounds ever at 400 yds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I even got a few hits on the steel silhouette at 400 yds. (We won’t talk about how many rounds I had to fire.)
    [​IMG]

Then, I came back to the Shoot-N-C at 200 yds. I was trying for a 6:00 hold on the orange bulls-eye. I’m assuming that the other five shots were under the target.
    [​IMG]

And my last 10 shots were at 100 yds. I was standing and using my sling. It wasn’t snap-shooting, but it was quick. (There wasn’t a target on the stand in the circle when I took the photo; however, that is where I put the target.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I’ll be getting my money’s worth out of this membership.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Is it a secret club or can you tell us the name and location?

Good shooting too!

3. hammerg26

hammerg26 Member

WHAT were you shooting? .338, .300, etc.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

1st Time Shooting w/ Iron Sights at 300 & 400 yds

He said it was PTR 91, which is a .308 HK pattern rifle.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  5. carnut

carnut Member

+2 on what's the name of the range ?

6. Myright

Myright Freedom Loving Citizen

Nice!

When I was shooting at 200 yards with my Mosin, it was interesting to hear the delay in sound upon ringing the steel target...waiting for the sound to travel back to me.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  7. rjinga

rjinga Member

What Adam5 said.

8. rjinga

rjinga Member

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you at 400 yds. :lol:

Thanks!

Elbert County Gun Club http://www.elbertcogunclub.com/index.html

9. rjinga

rjinga Member

I thought I heard a "ping" (and saw the target move) a few times; however, it wasn't as loud as I'd hoped (or as it is in the videos). With my ear plugs, my aging hearing, and the report of the round under the covered shooting area, there's not a lot of decibel range left.

10. hammerg26

hammerg26 Member

I am sorry. I read, and re-read, and overlooked it each time. :(

11. moe mensale

Only if you can spot me amongst the flora and fauna. I won't be standing still like Mr. Bones! :mrgreen:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  12. carnut

carnut Member

rjinga, thanks for the info, membership price and long range shooting setup looks good. To bad it's a 2+ hr one way (125 miles) from my side of town, a bit to far. You're doing pretty good with that gun & iron sights. For my eyes a 6 inch target at only 50 yards looks like a fuzzy ball hiding behind the front sight. That's the reason I have to cheat on anything over 50 yds with some help from Vortex.

13. rjinga

rjinga Member

Not a problem.

14. rjinga

rjinga Member

But motion is one of the first things our eyes notice (or is that just the T-rex in Jurassic Park?). And, if you're going to try and use the flora and fauna for concealment, so will I.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. rjinga

rjinga Member

Thanks.

Well, as far as eye-sight goes, I'm shooting at a lot of fuzzy shapes too. I'm kind of like the artillery gunner: He can't actually see his target beyond the tree line, or over the hill; I can't actually see the 6" upper CM box past 50 yds either. However, we both know where the target is suppose to be, and we use math and physics to try and plot our shots.

And, as far as the target being behind the front sight is concerned, I'm switching to a 6:00 sight picture on my rifle (something my friend, the former Marine office and Vietnam combat vet, has been trying to get me to do ever since the first time I went to his at-home range to shoot).

Right now, my sight picture is to cover the POI with the very top of the front post, at 25 yds, using my rifle's #2 rear sight (four position drum). However, I realized that at even 100 yds, my 1/16" wide front post pretty much totally covered the 8.5" width of an 8.5 x 11 target. And then, when I tried to shoot at 200 yds plus, even a full-size silhouette could hide behind my front post.

I came back home, hit the internet, and and confirmed what I had to learn for myself at the range: experienced long-distance iron sight shooters (for example, soldiers and marines before the advent of standard issue optics) used a 6:00 sight picture, so that no matter how fuzzy or obscure, they could still see the target in relation to their front sight. [Aside - regardless of the relative size or clarity of the target, the shooter should bring the front post, not the target, into sharp focus before firing. That's another thing my friend has been drilling into me.]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  16. moe mensale

Thermal imaging. :mrgreen:

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The other day I did some slow-fire prone shooting, fore-end resting on my range bag and a rubber mat, at 200 yards. I did this with two rifles with very similar sights-- the AR-15 and Ruger Mini-14. Both have peep sights for the rear and a post up front. For the last dozen years, my skill with peep (or open, or that matter) sights has degraded a lot. My skills with optics-equipped rifles has only degraded a little. So I think it's my old eyes losing depth of focus.

The AR rifle gave pretty consistent groups of about 7" at 200 yards.

The Mini 14 would shoot 4 out of 5 pretty well, maybe in a 9" or 10" group if I only counted the best 4 shots, but there was often a flyer that would open the group up.

When that AR wears a scope, even a fixed 4X scope, it shoots 4" groups at 200 yards (with cheap ammo; I've never tried premium ammo in it).

When I shoot other people's scoped semi-auto military rifles, I tend to get groups half the size as I'd expect from those same guns with the iron sights.

rjinga, shooting iron sights at 300 and 400 yards is certainly a challenge, and it looks like you've done well at your first day of it.
    How have things progressed on that front in the 2 years since?