Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a difference contacts make! Now, instead of a grayish blur beyond my front post, I see a really small shape. (Still working on hitting it, but at least I can see it better now.)

The rifle: PTR 91 GI with the standard iron sights. Ammunition: MEN 16 (first 40 rounds) and German surplus (last 20 rounds). I shot everything, except for the last target, from a table with a gun rest. There were some wind gusts (my target stand blew over once before I put a rubber mat on the base).

The first two shots at 25 yds (white circle at 9:00), and then I adjusted my rear sight for windage (it had become loose), and fired the third shot (1†diameter pink bulls-eye):

Dog target at 25 yds (simulating a full-size target at 100 yds); 49 out of 50, with five shots inside of, or touching, the 1.25†diameter V bulls-eye:

Red Dawn sniper at 50 yds:

Dog target at 50 yds (simulating a full-size target at 200 yds); 45 out of 50, with three shots inside of the 1.25†diameter V bulls-eye:

Red Dawn observer at 75 yds:

Dog target at 75 yds (simulating a full-size target at 300 yds); 42 out of 50, with one shot inside of the 1.25†diameter V bulls-eye, and another touching it:

Red Dawn observer at 100 yds:

Dog target at 100 yds (simulating a full-size target at 400 yds); 20 out of 50:

Red Dawn full-size at 100 yds. I fired these shots while standing and using my sling. It was not snap-shooting, but it was a quicker pace. I think the missing shot went low (so it still could have struck him in the crotch or leg):

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The target should be blurry if you are shooting with open sights. Focus on the front sight. You cannot focus on more than one plane at a time.
Yes, I understand that. I was talking about the "initial target acquisition" as they say. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts