1st IPSC Match

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm thinking about shooting my first IPSC match Tuesday night, if I get off work in time. Does anyine have some advice for a first timer? They shoot IPSC at Bullseye in Cumming at 6:30 every Tuesday night.

2. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I went on a tuesday one time and shot with these guys. Some are very good and I sucked. My word of advice would be to take your time and visualize what you are going to do prior. It takes a lot of practice and you have the urge to go fast like the experienced guys there, so just take your time and work on your accuracy. Speed will come with better technique development and time. Good Luck, I may be attending sometime in the near future as well. Its actually a really good deal to show up and pay the $16 to participate as it would cost $15 anyways for one hour, but you get to stay for longer than an hour and get free targets and different stages, its a lot of fun.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Not taking my time is what used kill me in GSSF matches. The first few times, I paid too much attention to the clock, and not enough attention to my aim. :oops:

4. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

never been but i want to try it sometime myself. do you have to sign up in advance or just show up? you don't have to be a member first time, right?

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You can just show up and yuo don't have to be a member for your first time.

6. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

At the first (and only) IDPA match I attended, new folks were asked to show up a few minutes early for a short safety and procedure speech.

I shot that match according to my skills and tried to focus on what I wanted to learn. I really didn't worry about speed and points for the match. I just wanted to shoot at targets in a non-linear fashion. As soon as I can establish a regular shooting schedule, I'll be going to more IDPA & IPSC events.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I shot 3 courses of fire at the weekly IPSC match at Bullseye tonight and had a blast !!! I'll definately do it more. I did have 2 no shoot penalties for hitting a target that I shouldn't have on the first string, twice. :oops: There were two overlapping targets top to bottom with about a 1 1/2" strip of no shoot target between them and I put 2 shots into the no hit area. Zookeper was there to and also had a good time. I think I'll have to go again next week.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

They shoot at the Bullseye in Lawrenceville on Wednesday nights. I've been thinking about riding over there and giving it a try.

9. b8fish

b8fish New Member

That would of course be the Gwinnett Practical Shooting League (GPSL). You should indeed give it a try. The fine web site has all the details you need -- read the "New Shooters Welcome" panel and follow the link there for more info. The FAQ is especially entertaining.

You will also find links to GP and GCO there.

You'll have fun - tell them I sent you..

(Disclaimer - I designed the website :wink: )

Here's me at an IPSC match in SC..
    [​IMG]

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Thanks for the info.