Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like some thoughts on 2 "budget" 1911s.
I have read a lot about them and watched some reviews, but not a lot about long term performance on these.
The Rock Island and the SDS Imports Carry model.
Originally I was looking for a Ruger, but have not even seen one in a year.
I held both of these and without shooting them, I liked the stainless SDS model a bit more.
Thoughts? Personal experiences?
Thanks!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,438 Posts
That Tisas brand 1911, particularly the US G.I. full-size government model looks like a lot of value for the money.

I also wonder if it will hold up over years of use.
Although, if something were to break it would be easy to find drop-in replacement parts.

Reactions: GeorgiaVOL

·
Super Moderator
7,139 Posts
Quality on both these brands is close enough that either would be a decent choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That Tisas brand 1911, particularly the US G.I. full-size government model looks like a lot of value for the money.

I also wonder if it will hold up over years of use.
Although, if something were to break it would be easy to find drop-in replacement parts.

The repair ability is one of the reasons why I would like a 1911. Even saw a review where they swapped slides with a Kimber with no issues.

·
Just a Man
6,064 Posts
I really liked the RIA 1911 I had years ago. It ran well for me and was reliable with Wilson 47 & 47D magazines.
Air gun Trigger Input device Material property Gun barrel
Photograph Vertebrate Air gun Green Trigger

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,043 Posts
My primary EDC is a Springfield Ultra Compact 1911. 3.5 in barrel with 7 round mags. Its a quality 1911-- Nuff Said.

As far as Rock Island, its my understanding that is a Colt under another name. If you remember in the early 1990s Colt said no more civilian guns and sold its machinery to a Philippine company. My very small usage (no ownership) of them gives me confidence in the product.

Nemo

·
Registered
997 Posts
My primary is an Ed Brown Kobra Carry Lightweight although there are lot of other 1911's that can take it's place and they do on occasion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts