1911 vs xd

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mc30707, Aug 20, 2007.

1. mc30707

mc30707 New Member

OK guys, I've got a perfectly good SA 1911-a1 GI 45 ACP in SS. It shoots fine, never had a FTF or FTE. The problem, or maybe not, is that I have an itch for an XD 9mm. I like the way it feels in my hand. I also like the way my 1911 feels as well. I can't afford to keep the 1911 if I get the XD. What should I do? What would you do?

2. tace

tace New Member

If you are not going to carry it, then I don't really see any reason for the swap. Unless, you would like to shoot it more often, then the 9mm will be a lot cheaper than the .45 ACP.

Well, I guess the other reason is the mag capacity. You get 16 chances to shoot the BG instead of 7 or 8.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I'd also trust the XD more for carry, but that's just me.

4. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Go try an M&P 9. I like my XD9 but the M&P just feels better in my hand and the felt recoil seems much less, meaning faster follow up shots. I am planning on getting a M&P 45 for my CCW gun soon.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Is this for carry or for the range?

6. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Get the XD, it doesnt feel like a brick like most of its competitors.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Sig makes a nice 9mm.

8. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy here, but...

If you like the feel of the 1911, and you want a hi-cap 9mm, get a Hi-Power. It's got that same lovely pointability that comes from the house of Browning.

9. budder

Hk makes better ones.

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'd go with the XD, but that's because I'm not really a fan of the 1911 for some reason.

I'd go with either a Glock or Sig first (tie in my mind), followed by an HK, and then the XD.

11. gsusnake

Maybe I've just been drinking the Sig Kool-Aid...

but if I'm gonna pay $900 for a gun, I want stainless steel, not plastic.

Why are Glocks and XDs affordable? Because they use plastic instead of metal. Hk does the same thing. Why not pass that savings on to the consumer?

12. budder

They do! They just cost more because the R&D is better ;)

13. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

+1 except I may put the M&P ahead of the XD and possibly the HK. Although if you are trying to pickup guys like budder you would do better with the HK. If you want to drop BGs, go with the SIG or Glock. Or if you want 13+1 of 45ACP goodness go with the Glock 21SF.

14. tace

tace New Member

Tony, no offense but the M&P, as good a copy as it is of some sound designs, is still a bit untested and unproven. As fond of as you are of your new toy, it still needs to earn its stripes before being considered with the likes of XD, Glock and Sig. ;)

One reason HKs cost so much is that they use polygonal barrels which cost more to make. The other is because they are mostly made in Germany.

15. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

GLOCKs have polygonal rifling and are mostly made in Austria. What gives?

16. gsusnake

but but but... Hk is Hk!

That's what you're paying for. The name.

If I'm going to pay for a name, it's gonna be... well, y'all already know, so there's no point in repeating...

17. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

If you really need to get rid of the 1911 PM me and let me know how much you would like for it and if it's a good price I will take it off your hands and then you can go with the plastic crowd on this forum.

:crossfinger:

18. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

I don't own an M&P and am quite happy with Glock & SIG, I have just read some very good things about them. The XD has been around for years from the company that actually made it in Croatia but only became popular when Springfieild started selling them as the XD. Again it all seems to be in the name. And yes many companies use polygonal barrels (hk, glock, kahr, etc.) they have some advantages but your most precise firearms (target pistols, rifles) don't use this technique.

19. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Don't let go of the 1911. If you absolutely must have another gun then find another way to fund it. You will be forever kicking yourself in the backside if you let it go. Trust me, I spent five years and a few hundred bucks tracking down and recovering a .22 rifle I gave my nephew when I joined the Corps. My son now owns that rifle. Since it was my first rifle I found that I wanted it to be his first too. Your first 1911 (I'm asuming) should hold a special place in your heart as well. There is something magic about the John M. Browning's design that makes turns simple steel into living history, no matter when the pistol was produced. I challenge anyone to own a 1911 and not feel a connection to the multitude of Americans that carried it into battle, on the street, or just in thier home to protect thier loved ones.

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Candi at the Pink Pony? :D 8)