1911 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Dan H, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Dan H

Dan H New Member

So I went by the gun store and was fondling the 1911's. They feel so good in the hand and the trigger is phenomenal. I was checking out the Kimbers as that is all they had, but do love the looks of them.

I was specifically looking at the Kimber Pro Carry II as it is rather light and compact for CC. I would love to have a 1911, but still want something that isnt terribly heavy for carry or too large and it seemed that the PCII might fit the bill.

Anyone have thoughts on the Kimbers? I heard that their quality isnt the best, but then again this might have been a rumor, as well as their customer service?? Anyone have any input or think that a different brand 1911 will foot the bill for around the same price?

Or you can talk me out of it entirely if you are against them, but they are just so damn nice!

Thanks

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I like Kimber's...the metal ones that is. I only have one currently, an Ultra Raptor II. I've shot the polymer frame ones and wasn't impressed at all.

From what I've heard, the quality is really good, part of the price is just the name though.

If you are looking for a carry piece, I'd also look at the Para Ordnance ones. http://www.paraord.com/ They have several compact carry models...and their LDA trigger is sweet. They have regular SA models as well.

Here is a pic of mine.... :D

[​IMG]

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

4. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Yep, unfortunately not many dealers carry them.

5. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

6. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

Springfield Armory can put you in one just like what your granddaddy carried in WW II for about $500. Just run a few hundred rounds of ball through it to break it in.

I have owned quite a few 1911A1s from a war surplus Remington Rand to a Colt Gold Cup. IMHO, a good shooter and defensive gun can be had for way below $1,000. The high end guns are good for competition and the low end stuff is pure junk.

Stay away from Llama and the Colt Series 80.

7. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I love my Kimber Ultra Carry II. It's aluminum frame is light. It is my carry gun.

I find it as accurate as my full sized 1911 govt. Hasn't failed for me yet. I think they're worth the money.

If you get one that isn't 100%, i hear Kimber's turn around time is pretty good.

This probably isn't the best board to ask questions about 1911s. I find there's too many glock, hk, and sig fans here. They might be biased against your choice. If it's not plastic, double action, and 9mm... :wink:

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I like my Kimber Ultra. I carry it pretty often, a lot more often during the winter when it's a bit easier to conceal. Not very heavy. It's an amazingly accurate weapon, especially given it's small size. Sometimes I wonder why I spent so much on a pistol, but everyone that shoots it seems to think it's the bomb. It definitely shoots a lot better than I do.

[​IMG]

9. M249

M249 New Member

How has the reliability been in your compact 1911's? I've heard the compact ones are hit or miss as to reliability. Except for race guns, I've heard the full size 1911s just go like hell. :)

10. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I've only shot a couple hundred thru mine, no issues what so ever. Mine is also amazingly accurate. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a full size.

11. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Mine has more than a couple hundred through it. But otherwise, same as above.

12. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

After you get down to the 4 inch mark more problems start to develop with the 1911's.

Springfield is probably your best option for cost vs. quality in the 1911, stay away from anything SIG that resembles a 1911. I do how ever really want one of the Colt reproduction 1911A1 Series 70's.

I have a Wilson Combat CQB that has ran thousands and thousands of rounds with a couple problems. One a slide stop wore out, and the other was I broke off the thumb safety. Both of these occurred right around the 10,000 round spot. At this point the guns finish looked as if it had survived all ten years of Vietnam, so I sent it back to Wilson and had all the worn parts replaced, a speed chute added and re-finished. I had the gun back within 4 working days and have zero defects since then. The Wilson will feed anything I put in it, to include midgets.
    When it comes to customer service Wilson is 2nd to NONE!

Last year while my son was in Iraq I got him a Springfield 1911A1 and had Doc Holt add all the extras to it, grip safety, mag release, slide stop, stippling to the front strap and matching main spring housing, speed chute, refinished, 10-8 rear sight opened to .145 and a Novak front tritium sight .125 wide.

It shoots as well as my Wilson but looking at the cost and warranty there were only a few hundred dollars in the price difference. Doing it all over I would just get the Wilson again or the Nighhawk.

Stay away from exotic metals. some metals just do not work well together especially when they get warm.

13. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I researched 1911s for a while this summer. I finally scratched that itch last week and bought Jmark's 1911A1 hi cap.

In my study, I found no rational correlation between price and quality. Some cheap guns were cheap, some were just inexpensive.

The Kimbers I've read about are great $600-700 guns with a $500 surcharge added for their name. They are high quality, no one can debate that, but at the end of the day they're still assembly line guns - no more, no less.

I found dollar for dollar - for target alone, the Rock Islands were cheap, reliable and fun. The same sensation as shooting a real 1911, from cheaper, foreign-made parts; in the end: a facsimile to which you wouldn't want to trust your life. But who cares, you can get them for $375 and laugh your head off. Great customer service, too.

The Springfield Armory Mil Spec is the best deal going today for a new, full-size 1911. It's got the $200 worth of upgrades to it that you would do to a 1911 anyway, for only $100 more than the GI.

If you're looking for a compact, look toward the SA EMP. The lifetime warranty alone makes it worth a shot or three.

+1 for Para Ordinance 1991 clones.

I've read mixed reviews on Taurus and Sig. I would avoid them simply because there's no reason not to buy an SA or Para.

Ironically, I know practically nothing of Colt 1911s, I never really read much about them for or against.

14. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I have looked at the SA 1911's and do feel that they are the best bang for the buck, however I do love the looks of the Kimbers too. I suppose I will keep looking around some more and continue to do a little research before I pull the trigger.

15. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

I own a Springfield loaded in stainless, but I prefer the look and feel of the Kimbers.

16. M249

M249 New Member

I do not want a 1911...
    I do not want a 1911...
    I do not want a 1911...

Damn... it's not working.

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I know a foolproof method of fixing this. Just give me every 1911 you buy. Once you get used to spending the money and not getting anything out of it, you'll have broken the desire without accumulating any!

18. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

If someone would just buy my Benelli Nova I would be able to get my new Kimber...

19. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I carry a Colt 1991A1 3 1/2 inch, I've shot well over 2K thru it. I've had the few stove pipes due to loose grip, never had any other problems with it.

20. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

I disagree.

I have to disagree with you on those two points. I have had both my Sigs (Revolution and XO series for a couple of years and have quite a few rounds through them and have had ZERO problems. I also have shot several thousand rounds through my Kimber Ultra II and it even has the external ejector with ZERO problems and is quite accurate for a shorty. Like they say " beauty is in the eye of the beer holder".
    :smokin: