Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm thinking of delving into the 1911 world. I'm looking for honest opinions on RIA's. I know they might not be finished as nicely as a Springfield, Kimber, Wilson Combat, etc. But, I'm wondering if I should save up a little more and go with a higher end gun. Also thinking about the Remington. Although, I haven't really heard much about them.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
lostprofit said:
So, I'm thinking of delving into the 1911 world. I'm looking for honest opinions on RIA's. I know they might not be finished as nicely as a Springfield, Kimber, Wilson Combat, etc. But, I'm wondering if I should save up a little more and go with a higher end gun. Also thinking about the Remington. Although, I haven't really heard much about them.
I just shot a Taurus 1911 1st gen that my buddy had at the range a few weeks ago and was very impressed. everything I've heard about the RIA 1911's is not great, , but i only have experience with the Taurus and I'm a glock guy myself, so what do i know.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I can"t say anything about the RIA 1911's, never owned one. For about 550 you can get a Springfield GI series. As basic as a 1911 can be, and all that a 1911 needs to be. The only down side to a GI series is the front sight cut, it's not a "standard" cut so it makes a swap to night sights a bit more involved. SA customer service is awesome, and with a true lifetime warranty hard to beat. Shipping is free for all warranty work.
I've been looking at the new Remington, haven't had a chance to really fondle one.
Beware 1911's are very addictive......

tons of 1911 info
http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews about RIA 1911's. Some people love them, others say they're not reliable and finicky about what kind of ammo they'll eat. Then again, I've heard of Sigs and Springfields 1911's that were picky about certain kinds of ammo. The only RIA I've ever shot was very accurate and a lot of fun at the range, but I didn't shoot it enough to know if I'd trust it for self-defense purposes.

Bottom line, they're good range guns when they work like they're supposed to... but whether or not you'd trust your life with it is a decision that's entirely up to you. I'm putting some extra money aside for one of the higher end 1911's, but that's just my preference.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
RIA's are great, haven't had a single issue with my GI RIA.

Most people have issues with some of the mags that come with a RIA 1911. So just make sure you have good mags and you shouldn't have an issue.

That said if there is an issue with the gun, Armscor has great customer service.

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
I like my RIA Government Tactical .45 ACP. It is accurate, very smooth and frame to slide fit is surprisingly tight. I have had a lot of fun tinkering with mine, and learning the ins and outs of the 1911. All for not a whole lot of money. My gun has been 100% right out of the box. RIA has some great Customer Service if you do have some issues. I shoot and carry mine frequently. I have about 1,800 rounds through mine. I bought it about 8 to 9 months ago.

Now it's no Springfield TGO-II or Dan Wesson CBOB, but it runs just like them for a great price IMO.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have a RIA GI 1911. It's reliable, feeds and functions flawlessly after the break-in period (200 rounds for me) with all FMJ's. I've only tried two types of hollow points: winchester white box, which jam, and winchester ranger T series hollow points, which feed flawlessly.

With the right hollow point, it's a truly great weapon.

That said, the sights are severely lacking. The GI model has the original low profile sights that aren't exactly the easiest things in the world to line up. The front sight post is staked in as well, so it'd be a pain in the rear if you wanted to replace the stock sights yourself.

Oh, and it bites. I'd consider looking into a beaver tail safety if you go with it....

My suggestion:

Go for the RIA tactical model, or better yet, a para ordnance GI expert.

A buddy of mine got a para ordnance GI expert not too long ago, and It's amazing. Everything I don't like about my RIA GI 1911, it doesn't have.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
lostprofit said:
I had a RIA Officers size GI model and I would not hesitate to buy another one. It did not like JHP's, but it would feed FMJ's with no problems at all.

And yes, I did and would again trust my life with it. It was my EDC for almost a year.

True that the one I had was an entry level 1911, but that is all I wanted.
You can buy the "Tactical" model and get a lot more of the features that you find on the more expensive guns. But you will also pay more for it.

I think I paid $419 for mine over a year ago. I have seen them as low as $399 at gun shows.

People knock RIA's due to their price, but they are a quality gun for a quality price. They have exceptional customer service and a full lifetime warranty to the gun, not the original purchaser.

I found another brand with more features that I liked better and sold it about a month ago, or I would still have it.

Edited to add: Yes, the sights on the GI model were pretty much non-existent. That is the only thing that I did not like.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
As someone who owned a Springfield GI, I would recommend against it over the RIA. Get a RIA Tactical and don't look back. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions. I might have to check out the Para. I hadn't thought about them either. Lot's of options to look at. This could get addictive. :D

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
The OP never once quibbled price. He wants quality. Buy a Colt, and never look back!

·
Registered
570 Posts
It is a standard GI and I bought it to tinker with and so far it has fired 100 FMJs perfect. Internals really are atrocious and there seems to be a little too much sear movement with the manual safety engaged. Nonetheless it still functions as a 1911 should. Mine came with a Colt magazine so I did not have to worry a bout the stock ACT-MAG.

·
Registered
157 Posts
lostprofit said:
I've shot the Taurus PT, own a Springer GI, and want a RIA Tac. I have heard nothing but excellent reviews from the RIA crowd. Arnell and Ivan at RIA cust. service are top notch, members of prominent 1911 forums, and willing to make any problems right. Like I said, I own a Springer GI Champ, dealing with Springer cust. service so far has been a pleasure as well. The Taurus is a quality gun too, at the lower end of the price range any one of these manufacturers make a good gun. Look at this way, buy a 1911 that you like and expect to spend double that on the stuff you think it needs. Have fun. :screwy:
]

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ive had 2 RIA's. The GI and the Tactical. They were both excellent guns. I would not hesitate in buying another. never had any issues feeding HP or FMJ. I sold both of mine for monetary reasons and wish I had them back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got the RIA full-size GI and love it. I think it is a great gun for the money. Even if I could afford the high end guns, I think I would still start out with a Rock Island to learn 1911's and/or build it up from there. No slide bites and no problems with Remington Golden Saber JHP's. It does not like fully loaded standard size 8 round mags though. I have had a few premature slide lock-backs on the last round where the tip of the round just nudges the slide lock up, but I'm working on that. I think that is a pretty common 1911 issue.

I would love to get their compact (officer's) model for easier carry. Maybe someday...

I did recently see one of the new Iver Johnson "commander" size 1911's. Looked to be well made and nicely finished.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
It was a choice between the Para GI and the PT1911 when I was shopping in the entry level price range for a 1911. I couldn't look past the GI sights, plastic trigger, and other plastic parts of the Expert. I also really wanted chequering on the front of the magazine well. In the end, I got the PT. It has not given me any trouble and I appear to be a decent shot when I put it through paces. The only regret is that the latest generation models don't come with Heinie Straight Eights.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts