1911 mags not feeding?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by COMMANDER1911, Oct 17, 2010.

1. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

I baught a new Chip McCormick 8 round magazine yesterday and went to a friends house to shoot. I also used two ACT mags and everyone of my mags failed to feed the first round. and a couple of times I had feed problems in the middle of firing. I never had a double feed, the round just didnt wanna go in the chamber. I was using a combo of winchester fmj, and gold dot speer. Any idea on what could be causing this? any suggestions for some good mags? And my feed ramp has been polished and is as smooth as Elton John's arm pits

2. moga

moga New Member

Could it be that your weapon is still being broken in? It typically requires several hundred rounds for the moving components to interface reliably.

3. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

My Wilson Combat mag has never failed on me... yet.

4. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

If the mags are used, the springs may need to be replaced in them. The only thing I'll run in my 1911 is Wilson magazines.

5. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

It is simple....your CM magazine isn't going to work with your pistol.
    1911 magazines are not just stamped sheet metal bullet holders. They are vital to the proper function of the pistol.
    Feed angle, release point of the feed lips, follower shape, spring pressure, are all factors that determine if a 1911 mag is going to be reliable or not. In general terms the tighter the gun, the more precise the magazine must be.
    That same mag may feed forever in a different 1911, it just isn't going to feed in yours.
    1911 platforms require a significant sack of $$ to make them reliable. That means trying magazines of different shapes and manufacturers. You will have to buy and reject several magazines before you find the one's you like.....
    This is EXACTLY why John Moses Browning designed his 1911 the way he did. The more people improve it, the less reliable it becomes.

6. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

My 1911 came with an 8rd ACT mag. I bought a 6rd "Meggar" mag when I purchased the gun at a show. After a while, I gave away the ACT mag and bought a "Kimber" 7rd mag. I would have occasional times when the slide would not lock back after last round fired.

I was finally able to buy 2 of the 7rd Wilson Combat Mags and use only them now. Have had absolutely no problems at all with the Wilsons. The Meggar is strictly a spare mag in case I need it. I plan to buy at least one more Wilson maybe 2 when I can afford them.

Good luck.

7. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I have a ton of Mec-Gar 1911 magazines http://www.mec-gar.com/ and I love them. Every one has been 100% reliable (and I have a bunch of 10 rounders, I only used them in matches, but I used them a LOT). I have 7 - 8 and 10 rounders.

I also have / had Mec-Gar magazines for other guns (Browning and Taurus). All worked well.

8. galvatron

galvatron Member

Either I missed it or nobody else has asked, is this a new 1911 or a new to you 1911. Has if fed reliably in the past. What prompted the purchase of the new mag? Need just a wee bit more info.......

9. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

It's brand new. I've put about 150 rounds through it. I bought the new mag to have some extra firepower lying around, and to make shooting easier (not having to reload so much). IMO ya never can have too many mags.

10. moga

moga New Member

After reading your other thread, I thought your weapon was BN . Could be just breaking in still if neither the factory nor CMC mags are without issue. But I'm hardly an expert.

11. galvatron

galvatron Member

Did it feed well with the OEM mags? Some 1911's are picky about magazines. Who made your new toy? My new SA GI1911 had a feeding problem out of the box. Would eat anything reliably, first round would nose dive into the feed ramp everytime, regardless of the ammo type or magazine. Boxed it up sent it back to SA, 12 days later it eats anything I feed it, from any mag without fault. I feed it commercial ammo as well as my reloads which range from fmj to swc, jhp, etc.. 1k rds later still no problems. Call the OEM and see what their policy is for new weapons. Resist the urge to reach for the dremel.......