1911 in a kydex holster?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by guardguy, Nov 18, 2010.

1. guardguy

guardguy New Member

I have a good belt slide holster for my Remington 5" 1911 that carries well both IWB and OWB. But I need an OWB that also protects the slide from getting banged around when I am working, hunting and other activities. I found a kydex paddle holster at the local shop, but does the kydex wear on the pistol finish worse or faster than leather?

2. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Leather will rub less, but in larger areas. the leather will twist, form, swell, shrink, etc, thus wearing in different parts. But as I said it's not that bad.

Kydex will rub, and rub a lot, but will only do it on very specific areas where the kydex and firearm come to contact, like trigger areas or what have you. The wear is more heavy than leather, but very localized.

JMHO/YMMV

3. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

I would have to agree with Grunt on what he said. I am of the opinion that holster wear on a 1911 gives it character and means that it has been used the way it was intended to be used..............a personal protection tool.

4. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Safariland has some very nice OWB holsters that are rigid and sued lined. I have a retention level II and a non-retention model. They come in paddle and belt versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. guardguy

guardguy New Member

Thanks for the input guys! I have a lot of thinking to do.

6. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Don't over analyze it.........................buy a holster you like and use it. If it rubs the finish on your gun, who cares. Your gun has character now. :)

7. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

You can always get your gun refinished also.