1911 Colt 45

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by JMJ2, Nov 1, 2010.

1. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

I was in a pawn shop browsing the other day and came across a used 1911 Colt 45. The price was 724.00$. I think it was a model 80 or something can't remember. The sights didn't have any dots on them and the finish was dull. It looked like stainless matte finish not sure. I didn't get a chance to run any tests on the gun, but I thought that was a pretty high price for a used one. Whats the usual price for a 1911 Colt 45 in I would say decent condition?

2. Match10

Match10 Active Member

That would be around right for a Colt series 80 1911.

3. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Yes that is a pretty good price for a Colt. used or not.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That price is about right for a good condition Colt.

5. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

If the slide is tight that is. :love:

6. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

Ok maybe I need to go back and put it on a 6 month lawaway. I can clean it up pretty good and polish the finish cause its just too dull. It has a two piece feed ramp are there any feed problems with that? I've heard 1911's being kind of picky with hollow point ammo is that somewhat true?

7. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Match10

Match10 Active Member

NO!! DO not mess with that finish. I may be the finish it was made with!

9. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! whats wrong with getting a metal polish rag and polishing the slide and frame? look man I don't care how much the gun is worth I got a problem with paying 724.00$ for a gun that looks like crap, even if it shoots dead on 50yrds. I'm not an antique collector. Even if it was trust me it didn't look like that when made and I know the difference between polish stainless steel and matte stainless steel.

10. Match10

Match10 Active Member

If you do not like the finish on the weapon, your are, of course, free to do with it whatever turns your key. Beware though, that finish may be special and not polishable. It may mar it into something worse. Colt did a number of factory finishes from bead blasted, blueing of different sorts, and parkerizing. What is it really?

If it's a plain jane Series 80, you would remove the bluing and not accomplish anything but a shiny rustable... Series 80! It's best to know what you have before you go trying to "fix" it.

11. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

The gun is Matte Stainless steel with polished stainless steel flats. I hope this gun isn't that sensitive that you can't even get a gun polish cloth from wal mart and wipe it, clean it etc. I'm not talking about putting a buffer on it or a polish brush.
    Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. Maybe I will just invest in a new one or just get a Glock 21. :)

12. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

:rotfl:

The polishing cloth is not going to hurt a stainless gun. I am sure that your use of the word "polish" had people in a :panic: . When people mention "polishing" on a 1911 it most likely means that some sort of power tool is going to come into contact with some part of the gun.

1911s are working machines and the need to be treated like such-blemishes and all!

14. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

1911's are the best example, ever, of a simple, yet perfect design.

15. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Heathen! Blasphemer! :wink:

16. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

Sorry, just saw this thread. I got mine for 625 used at Autrey's in Fayetteville last year. Mine came with an idiot scratch but everything else was pretty perfect. This is one of my many carry guns, it's not a safe queen. Question though, what kind of Colt was it? Mine is a Combat Commander.
    [​IMG]

17. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Very nice gun Les. One like it is on my want list. There is nothing like a Colt. :righton:

18. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

Thanks! :D I really want to swap the grips though. I have been saying that since I got the thing.

19. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i never liked them hogues. they make it feel too much like your holding a 2x4 *cough* glock *cough*

20. mdlott

mdlott Member

Make him a set of those fancy ones. :righton: