Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brands of ammunition have you had issues with feeding in your 1911, and which brands run flawlessly?

Please include the brand of ammunition as well as what type and brand 1911 you have used the ammunition in.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start.

I have a Rock Island GI model 1911 (full size).

Brands that have run flawlessly:
Remington UMC 230 gr. FMJ
Federal 230 gr. FMJ
Winchester 230 gr. FMJ
Winchester T series 230 gr. HP

Brands that I have had issues with:
Winchester white box 230 gr. HP
Independence 230 gr. FMJ

I only had issues with the Winchester white box hollow points during the first 300 or 400 rounds. I tried again recently and didn't experience any problems. I chalked it up to just a break in period, but I still don't trust them enough to use them as my carry ammunition.

The Independence FMJ's failed to feed almost every single round well past my weapon's break in point. At the time they were tested, I had put well over a thousand rounds through my 1911.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Wish I could help you narrow it down, but my PT1911 ate everything I fed it. Big mix of different brands and FMJ, JHP, etc.

·
Registered
635 Posts
SA LW Champion and TRP

No issues with any Factory Ammo I even worked up some 185gr JHP Reloads that functioned without issue in both pistols.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I haven't found any brass cased ammo that have given issues in my Ed Brown. I usually just shoot WWB.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
My TRP and LW Operator enjoy these, regularly:
WWB 230gr FMJ
Federal Champion 230gr FMJ
Blazer Brass 230gr FMJ

And these hollowpoints for defense:
Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP
Winchester PDX1 230gr JHP

Never an issue with any of the above

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
My Delta Elite Match 10 has digested everything I have ever placed into its maw in the last 22 years. Handloads and any manufacturer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Springer RO 1911
So far the only rounds i've fed it was Federal 230gr and my handloads.
Never had any issues.

EDIT: You can add UMC and WWB to the mix. All have fed,fired, and ejected like they are supposed to.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I bought a bunch of BVAC (BitterRoot Valley Arms Company) .45 FMJs for ultra-cheap plinking. They're cheap factory reloads, about as cheap as can be found anywhere. My lot has slightly bulged cases, and about 1 in 10 fail to go into battery - but are fine with a tap on the back of the slide.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Springfield Loaded Combat

no issues with:
WWB 230 gr FMJ
Federal 230 gr FMJ
Winchester PDX1

had issues with Federal HST, would not feed

·
Registered
58 Posts
anyone ever tried speer gold dot ammo. does anyone have a opinion on it as well. i a big fan of the speer gold dot

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ran a box of gold dot le thru my sig 1911 with no issues. I got a pretty serious muzzle flash out of them and was in serious need if a cleaning afterwards but no feed issues, then again I haven't had any feed issues with anything yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So far the only ammo I've had issues with was Rem. UMC JHP. This is in a Rock Island Tactical. Could be I just need to break in the feed ramp with some more FMJ before trying hollow points, but these jammed bad. At least one round per mag (three different brands of mags including Wilson) would mis-feed.

One round failed to eject after firing because the extractor just dented up the case head instead of hooking on to the groove when it went into battery. I had to stick a rod down the barrel to get it out. I'm just hoping I can blame this on the ammo and not my new gun :shattered:

·
Registered
238 Posts
rejart said:
So far the only ammo I've had issues with was Rem. UMC JHP. This is in a Rock Island Tactical. Could be I just need to break in the feed ramp with some more FMJ before trying hollow points, but these jammed bad. At least one round per mag (three different brands of mags including Wilson) would mis-feed.

One round failed to eject after firing because the extractor just dented up the case head instead of hooking on to the groove when it went into battery. I had to stick a rod down the barrel to get it out. I'm just hoping I can blame this on the ammo and not my new gun :shattered:
I recently bought the Rock Island GI compact. The factory mag sucked and gave me feed problems. I switched to Chip McCormick and Kim Pro Mags and its run flawless.
I ran 200rds of Federal FMJ through it and hand polished the frame feed ramp with Metal polish and haven't had any more problems. I field stripped and made sure the gun was well lubed also. Run the gun wet next time and stick with FMJ ammo until it breaks in. Being the owner of a Glock 30, I didn't think a gun needed to be broke in; but with 1911's they do. The last trip to the range I ran about 60 Remington JHP 's without any failures and I'm very pleased with the trigger and how the gun shoots. The Rock Island Armory compact stuck with my Glock 30 round for round with no failures with 60 or so rounds a piece. Shoot only FMJ for a few hundred more rounds before going JHP.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I've run a bunch of different range ammo (American, PMC Bronze, Winchester white box, etc.) and a bunch of different JHP (Taurus Copper Bullets, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, etc.) and I have yet to get anything to fail in my TRP - which is the way it should be.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
My Kimber has only tasted 2 types of ammo...

at the range it's been Gunn 45 ACP RN (Round Nose) 230grain Processed (about 800 rounds so far..)
and my carry is Golden Sabres (ran 2 boxes through with no issues)

I still have about 200 WWB's but haven't even opened them

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I can feed my Colt anything. Actually, that is a lie, when I bought it the firearm had a burr in the feed ramp and that messed with all of the ammo. I got that polished out and now it runs everything. When I am at the range I normally run Atlanta Arms or WWB through it but I have used Federal and other brands too. For defense I switch between Golden Sabers and Gold Dots.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts