18 Yr old traveling out of state with gun

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by A34, Jun 28, 2016.

1. A34

A34 Still plays with cars

Hey Guys,

My 18 yr old son is traveling from Georgia to Indiana in July. He'd like to take a gun with him for protection. Where can I find info on gun laws in TN and IN ?

He's going to have a friend with him who is 17.

He'll be driving my car and as I understand it, there is some gray area on whether that's considered a domicile for a child and thus allowed to have a gun. I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

You've got some research to do.
    In GA, your 18 year old son can carry (handgun) in HIS car, but not s buddy's car.
    Not even with permission.
    The 17 year old cannot be in possession of a handgun, period, and watch out for "constructive possession" situations where your son goes to the men's room to pinch a loaf and the buddy decides to sit in the car running the A/C and rocking to AC/DC, with a loaded gun in the glove box inches from him.

A long gun... Like a semi auto carbine with a 16" barrel... may be something that both young men could possess, without licenses, but check each states laws about unlicensed carry of loaded rifles. Many ban that method of carry to stop poachers from hunting from cars at night.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What make you think your cat is you domicile here? That does not appear anywhere in GA gun laws.

5. A34

A34 Still plays with cars

I saw it somewhere online about Georgia laws. I can't remember where just now.

6. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Doesn't the car have to be registered in the 18yo's name for him to even have one in his own car? Meaning that he cannot be driving momma or daddy's car with a gun in it.