.17HMR opinions?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What are y'alls thoughts on the .17HMR round?

I'm looking at a Savage 93R17 as a plinker. It will be used for general plinking and target shooting at 50 and 100 yards.

The ballistics look good out to 100.

I have a trade offer of the scoped Savage for my S&W 908.

2. Deek

Deek Active Member

Accuracy wise you'll feel like a sniper. Minus wind or rain a well made .177 rifle is usually still capable of shooting better than the person shooting it. Once you're zeroed in, you "know for a fact" that what is in the cross hairs will have a hole in it.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I tried it, also out of a Savage rifle.
    It was considerably more accurate than my Marlin .22 magnum at 100 yards.
    I know the .17 HMR will go 200 yards, with a lot less bullet drop than either the .22 mag or .22 LR
    The noise was less than the .22 magnum!
    Shooting empty aluminum drink cans filled with pond water with .17 HMR rounds made for a really nice spray of water.
    The cans were ripped in half most of the time.

Only down side was the cost of the ammo. $14 for 50 rounds, compared to $10 for the same number of .22 magnums or $3 for .22 LR. But with a scoped bolt action gun, you probably won't be burning as much ammo as with, say, a Ruger 10/22.

4. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

My 17 Savage is my go to small game gun bar none.
    It is laser beam accurate and whacks the $%&* outta small critters, especially squirrels.
    Mine is equipped with a Sweet 17 scope (it came with the rifle when I bought it used) and it prefers 17 grn Remington ammo.
    mine also has a threaded barrel and a SWR Spectre silencer attached, which kills some of the noise but since the round is obviously supersonic, not all the noise.

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

When did they invent the .17 ?
    Last summer I watched my cousin wipe out several crows way out on the horizon. Had never heard of a 17 before then.

6. ed4

ed4 Active Member

I enjoy shooting my .17HMR. It's a Savage rifle and as SO said hits the squirrels pretty good. lol Especially the ballistic tips.

I've never used the smaller .17(unsure of the actual name but it's a necked down .22lr casing).

From wikipedia:
    "Hornady, in conjunction with Marlin Firearms and Sturm, Ruger, followed much the same path. With the .22 WMR case as the starting point, a simple barrel change was sufficient for most .22 WMR firearms to chamber the new cartridge. In 2002 the first rifles and ammunition began appearing on the market, and the .17 HMR was an instant hit. While the ammunition was relatively expensive due to the high-performance .17 caliber bullets used, it was still cheaper than most centerfire ammunition. The availability of moderately priced and accurate firearms from Marlin and Ruger (leaders in the rimfire rifle market) plus the backing of a major ammunition maker allowed the .17 HMR to quickly gain momentum. Other makers of firearms and ammunition soon introduced .17 HMR offerings."

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I decided to pass on the Savage. I really wanted a pistol caliber carbine and have a trade offer on a HiPoint 4095.

8. Drewster

Drewster New Member

I agree with all the positive 17hmr comments if anyone is looking for a new gun the 17 is by far the best. 22 has NOTHING on the 17. They are fun guns to shoot. HOT round. :righton:

9. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I hunt with them both in the WMAs. .17HMR is far more accurate than the .22Mag, (on a calm day) and is a lot better for squirrels and other little critters. Although the new .22mags using the VMAX-type bullets are a major improvement over those of yesteryear, but still not as accurate as a good bolt action .17HMR.

However, on bigger critters, I find the heavier .22 magnum bullet kills better with fewer wounded critters running off. I've taken coyotes with a .22magnum well inside of 100 yards, my partner has used a .17HMR for about two years. He gets way, way more yotes running off than I do inside of 100 yards,and all his shots are in the 5" kill zone. The 40 gr .22 magnum just does a better job on the larger critters inside 100 yards.

10. corey541

corey541 New Member

.17 HM2 or Hornady Mach 2

11. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

It's called .17Mach2. It is .22 Stinger case necked down with 17gr. ballistic tipped bullet. Has no problem making squirrels disappear at 70yd.

[​IMG]

Form left to right: .17Mach2, .22Stinger, .22LR, and .22WMR.

12. ed4

ed4 Active Member

That's it .17 Mach2. No experience with it.

13. Drewster

Drewster New Member

I also have a 17hmr, they are the best. There is no doubt in my mind.

14. T. May

T. May New Member

I really like shooting my 17. It is one of those guns that is just fun to shoot. i think we forget sometimes that a gun can just be a fun gun, even if it is not the most practical. With that being said, it will do a number on small game.