Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one code bothers me as I live downtown Savannah. As anyone knows who has been downtown, almost every block has some kind of SCAD building. I could be within the school safety zone as I walk out of my condo. I've looked at para (17) (d) (1) and it seems to give me some relief but what if I'm walking around and get stopped, can I just say that I'm shopping? Walking to the bank?....CVS? You get my point. What do you guys think? :?

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
I don't think I would answer any questions about where I am going, from where I am coming, or anything else, for that matter.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
I don't think I would answer any questions about where I am going, from where I am coming, or anything else, for that matter.
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, if arrested for violating the school safety zone issue, am I somewhat protected by that paragraph being that there's so many places to conduct business?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
(d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Don't forget, if you're downtown you don't want to stumble in to a "public gathering" or too close to one.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Off the top of my head, bus stops are probably one of the bigger things to watch out for. IIRC, that's a hijacking charge. Wait, I think that's just when you board the bus (http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=12&section=123). Right now, I can't find where it mentions bus stops.
That's because that statute only mentions the actual vehicle. You must look to the terminal statute, 16-12-127, and it mentions "terminals." How does one know whether he is carrying a firearm at a terminal? Well, you must look at the applicable definition, which is found in a previous statute, 16-12-122.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
I don't carry openly north of Derenne.

I don't carry AT ALL north of Broughton.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts