Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What part says you must have a license for O?. I can't find it. There was some confusion at the gun show today.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you mean open carry there is nothing in that code, however in

16-11-129(e)

It shall be required that any license holder under this Code section have in his or her possession his or her valid license whenever he or she is carrying a weapon under the authority granted by this Code section, and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of Code Section 16-11-126

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Been law since 1909, or at least OC has not been legal without a license since 1909.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement
(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.
Is this what you were looking for ?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
27,996 Posts
BG Atl, that's it. Those are the lines that create the offense. If you carry a pistol without a license, you're either doing it unlawfully OR you are doing it under one of the exceptions in the law found in subsections (a) through (g). (Or you don't need a permit because you're exempt as some kind of government agent under 16-11-130).

Just in case somebody thinks that one of those exceptions "a" through "g" is broadly written to apply to regular civilians carrying a gun on the street in public, here they are:

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property
or inside his or her home,
[or inside his] motor vehicle,
or [at his] place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license,
provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle;
provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) [RECIPROCITY] Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting. [note that "open carry" is no longer mandated. So I suppose you can conceal carry while lawfully fishing, too.]

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

*** All emphasis added. All commentary in brackets is mine. ***

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys :righton: I printed out the entire section and highlighted the section Bruce recomended. There was some confusion by the CCPD LEO's who were there. When I got back with the code section, one of the chiefs was there s well as a LT. and they both were aware of the laws. The chief told me that CCPD was educating their officers on citizens carrying and the current law.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
budone1967 said:
Thanks guys :righton: I printed out the entire section and highlighted the section Bruce recomended. There was some confusion by the CCPD LEO's who were there. When I got back with the code section, one of the chiefs was there s well as a LT. and they both were aware of the laws. The chief told me that CCPD was educating their officers on citizens carrying and the current law.
Sounds like you had a good time... :righton: DANG !!!
Wish I hadn't missed out on that :D

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BG_Atl said:
budone1967 said:
Sounds like you had a good time... :righton: DANG !!!
Wish I hadn't missed out on that :D
Considering all the trouble members have had in Cobb it was refreshing to here it from someone high up that they were educating their officers on citizen carry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts