118 Days and Waiting

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Niceguy, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Niceguy

Niceguy New Member

This is the most absurd thing I have ever had to wait for. :x

Why does a 60-day law exist if some judges feel they are above the law?

Why do some counties follow the law and others flaunt it?

I have a perfect background and yet, as a law-abiding citizen, I have to wait 2x the length of what the law states.

This is in Paulding county by the way.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, this is one of the issues the organization Georgiacarry.org is diligently working on, and in this case "working on" means a lawsuit that was filed against the probate judge of Coweta County after 125 days had passed with no license issued to the applicant (that is twice the allowed time). The Superior Court ruled against the applicant. THe basis for the ruling was that the probate court must wait for a fingerprint based background check from the FBI without regardin to when it is requested or how long it takes. When the court entered judgment in favor of the probate judge of Coweta, the applicant appealed. The case has now been fully briefed in the Court of Appeals. All of the briefs are online for you to read here.

3. blare

blare New Member

I hope you get it soon man. Even though Im on day 40, It scares me to read how long it takes for some people.

4. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I applied for my second renewal 13 January 2006 and still waiting. I just talked with John Monroe of GCO on Firday, not sure of my options yet.

Chris

5. Niceguy

Niceguy New Member

I hope so too. Tomorrow will be day 121. I have a perfect background, ex-military and a law-abiding citizen and yet, I have to wait this long.

My question has always been...why some counties get it done under 60 days while other cannot?

6. Manwell

Manwell New Member

I don’t know as a fact, but it seems that some probate judges just don’t feel like doing it right away and maybe they’d rather not do it at all. Of course eventually they have to do something. I think it has been pretty well documented in the Moore vs. Cranford case that the judge can do the background check right from her office… didn’t need to take 121 days, period.

In fact, if something derogatory is found after issuing the GFL, the judge can simply revoke it. I wonder if that has ever happened.

Manwell

7. Niceguy

Niceguy New Member

Almost a year????? I would be sending complaint letters all over the place until someone gave an answer.

8. Niceguy

Niceguy New Member

It has now been 123 days. I called this morning and it is still not there. They told me to wait a couiple more weeks. I said I will call back on 12/1 and if it is still not there, I will have to look at my options as this is absurd.

They act like this is the 16th century.

9. brianh

brianh New Member

Has anyone contacted their state representative or senator on this issue? After all, they passed the law! This seems to be a clear issue of the judiciary ignoring the intent of the legislature. Perhaps some well phrased questions from a few house members to the AGs office with copies furnished to the probate court judges in the representatives district would help some folks see the light.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Yes. One person got his state representative involved and his license was issued shortly thereafter.

11. Cacique500

Cacique500 New Member

That was me - called my State Rep and told him what was going on. He asked that I email him the details and he'd take a look at it.

He called me back after looking through the email and said if I didn't have my permit by that Friday to give him a call back. Guess what...permit arrived on Friday...

Wife's permit just arrived...93 days in Henry county which was better than my 117 days...

12. blare

blare New Member

Could you post a copy of the email you sent? I have a feeling that Cobb county is gonna have me waiting for awhile!!!

13. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

When I lived in Cobb, I sent an Email to my then-Rep, Rob Teilhet. I told him about the delay and he implied that he would get involved. But, a couple of days later, I got my permit. I wrote him back to tell him that I had gotten my permit, but that the court was still not issuing the licenses in accordance with the law. He never wrote back...

Here's my first letter:
    here's his reply:

14. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

I am at 84 days as of today for Cobb County. My Cherokee issued permit expires on the 19th of November.

As I understand it Cobb is now issuing temporary permits...but since I have a Cherokee issued permit and have applied for a Cobb permit (I moved from Acworth to East Cobb) do I go to Cobb or Cherokee for a temp??

15. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Go to Cobb and get a temp.

16. Malum Prohibitum

O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(i)
    (i) Temporary renewal licenses.

(1) Any person who holds a license under this Code section to carry a pistol or revolver may, at the time he applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he then holds or if his previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

(3) Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.

(4) During its period of validity the temporary renewal permit, if carried on or about the holdeŕs person together with the holdeŕs previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.

(5) A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.

(6) A temporary renewal license may be revoked in the same manner as a five-year license.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Since it is "at the time of application," it could not possibly be the Cherokee probate court.

18. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

MINE CAME!!

Got my renewal today!! One day before my other one expired!! :D

I was getting nervous that I would have to dis-arm until my renewal came or I was able to figure out where to get a temp from.

So that was 88 days including weekends from time of application to receiving my GFL in the mail.

At least I won't have to do this for 5 more years :woohoo:

19. Niceguy

Niceguy New Member

Re: MINE CAME!!

I have now waited 140 days. :evil:

20. blare

blare New Member

Today is day 60 for me! Im going to go by the court next week to check on my license status, and if they tell me wait a couple more weeks then Im gonna write my state rep!