11 year old wanting to compete

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcarryOPEN, Jan 30, 2011.

1. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

:help: I have an 11 year old son that would like to start competing in airgun/.22 rifle matches. I have searched our area (Laurens county / Dublin, Georgia) and cannot find anything close. I am willing to travel some and even more willing to start a division down here. Are there any suggestions as to organizations other then JROTC (Not offered at his school). Any help would be appreciated. I am going to purchase him a couple of rifles but before I do I need to know also what is and is not allowed for the competitions. THANKS TO ALL FOR THE INFO. :help:

2. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Check out the 4h program. It looks like their site is down right now. I am 25 now, but had a lot of fun with good people learning to shoot on a 4h team back when I was about 12. I forget if it is an age limit or grade based limit on when the shooters switch from BB to air rifle.

I know he is interested in the .22 or air rifle and I suggest you continue to look for one, but don't discount the BB program. Those guns we were shooting were pretty accurate. My wife was shooting my the other day and putting a bb through the same hole with iron sights at about 20 ft.

The only downside is, I think they switched to 5 meter targets, we used to shoot at 10 meters which presented a bit of a challenge. I really don't recall it being 5 meters, but I was talking to a guy last year and he said it was now done at 5 meters, if thats the case its a bummer.

3. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

Well bing Sunday I will be contacting the local 4H in the morning to see what they offer. If not then I will be still researching other options. Thanks for the tip.

4. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

Try these folks out for information. I think they have a youth program for BB and .22, I just don't know if they are in the Middle GA area.

http://www.odcmp.com/

You might also try to contact that gun club out Scotland Rd. They might have a youth program as well.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The Boy Scouts have a skill badge for shooting, but when I did it many years ago, it was not too disciplined and the marksmanship required was not great. The quality of the instruction was as only as good as your troop leader.

If you can train your boy yourself, acting as a coach and sponsor, then you could do a lot of practice in your area and then drive him to matches all over south or east Georgia when a match comes up.

And you could get him involved in postal matches, such as the kind that are quite popular over at Rimfirecentral.com.
    A "postal match" is where you read the rules online, agree to the rules, make sure all your equipment is permitted for that particular game (no heavy-barreled match rifles in the "sporter" class for example), buy or download the specified target, and then shoot it at your own range. Take a picture of it or just score it and send-in the results by e-mail to the person running the postal match. It's on the honor system, of course, but it sure is convenient. And there are a lot of good shooters doing this.

6. daily packer

daily packer New Member

contact Ga Jr Shooting Sports here on the forum. He runs the local chapter of Jr shooting and 4h and has an awesome program and facility here in Griffin!! He can help you out for sure! :righton:

7. Ruger66

Ruger66 New Member

8. samman23

samman23 New Member

I am sure he'd be a great competitor. As an fyi I believe that the NRA does not encourage kids under 13 to shoot. I am not sure why, but I suspect it has to do with lead dust exposure while kids are still developing. But there are some amazing airguns that achieve rediculous speeds and accuracy these days.