10mm Wolff Springs

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by JMJ2, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

Have any 10mm owners out there ever replaced the recoil spring on your firearm with Wolff springs in order to better handle full power 10mm loads? If so was there a noticeable difference?

2. vr6glidriver

vr6glidriver New Member

I personally have not, but a buddy of mine has put one of these in his Glock 20. He says that the only way to notice the spring is if you chrono the shots, there is greater average velocity and greater consistancy between bullets due to the breachface not opening early with a full power load and the factory spring. He also warned me that if you shoot target loads, "FBI" loads, or most self defense ammo with the stonger spring you'll most likely experience FTE issues due to the spring being "stronger" than the blowback provided from the lighter powered ammo.

3. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

Yea I was aware of that happening. I put a 20lb spring on my S&W 1006 already and plan on putting some hogue rubber grips on it. I'm ordering some Buffalo Bore ammo 180gr to shoot in this gun. The standard recoil spring will probaly cause to much slide battering with that ammo. With the Hornady 155gr and standard spring it hits pretty hard too.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

5. Match10

Match10 Active Member

My Delta Elite operates just fine with the Colt setup....

6. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

That was a good article. My plans are to still use the standard recoil spring with the Hornady and other factory ammo. It shoots fine with that. However I will be experimenting with the Buffalo Bore Ammo using both springs. I've read of alot about 10mm shooters changing the recoil spring to a heavier pound and not having any problems as long as it was full power 10mm ammo they shot. I can understand the logic with lesser powered cartridges though. When your shooting some hot 10mil cartridges your entering into Magnum type velocities so that will call for maybe a few minor adjustments like maybe also changing magazine springs so the feeding can keep up with the increased slide movement. It also depends on which 10mm gun your shooting also. My S&W 1006 frame is built like a tank.