1000 yards?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by 1stinlastout, Jul 16, 2007.

1. 1stinlastout

1stinlastout New Member

I'm looking for a 1000 yard rifle range within 2-3 hours of Atlanta that I don't need to enlist to shoot at.

-C

2. Wiley

Wiley New Member

The longest I have heard of is Gunsite Hills http://www.gunsitehills.com/ at 700yds. Another is River Bend Gun Club is 600yds. I have not heard of one at 1000 near the Atlanta Metro area.

River Bend is about an hour to an hour and a half North of Atlanta in the Big Cannoe area. Gunsite Hills is East of Lexington.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What are you shooting? That is over half a mile! :shock:

4. mmmTang

mmmTang Member

Creekside firing range might have the space to do it, but it would have to be a special appointment. Don't know if you'd have to be a member or not.

http://creeksidefiringrange.com/

5. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Shhhh, MP! He's huntin' Palmas. They spook when you get up close.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Do you have a .50 that you're hiding from us?

7. kkennett

kkennett New Member

The Elbert County gun club, of which we're members, has some sort of arrangement with Grabun Farms where they shoot at 1000 yards one or two weekends a month. The 1K yard facility is not on the property. They are usually very gracious about non-members doing everything, but I don't know if you can do the Grabun days or not.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What besides a .50 is accurate that far out? Is a .308 capable of that?

9. Wiley

Wiley New Member

If we're talking Palma Matches, 50cal is not allowed, only 7.62/308 and iron sights. http://www.palma.org/USA/basics.htm

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was going to ask how you see the bullseye at 1000yds with iron sights, until I read this. It still would take good eyes and steady hands to hit a bull.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea it would... I still need to sight in my AK...i'll do that in the mountains not this weekend but next.

12. 1stinlastout

1stinlastout New Member

SASS Rifle

I was shooting a DPMS 308 SASS rifle with a 5x22 Nightforce. I just got it set up and had it down at Fort Benning at the Rifle and Pistol Club. Its a shame they lost English range and now they are at Shelton range. The far berm is at 450 meters. I checked my zero on paper at 200 meters and then had to wait an hour and a half while someone cut the grass on the range. Granted they could have cut the grass up until noon before the range opened but who cares. I calculated firing solutions for 300 and 450 meters based on some data I had off an old box of hornady ammo while I waited. I finally let some lead fly in the 96+ degree heat on the range. I was shooting Black Hills 168 gr HPBT match ammo thanks to Autreys Armory. They have some armor plate hanging at the 300 and 450 marks next to the targets. I dialed in the elevation for 300 and was surprised to hear what sounded like a bradley chain gun when I hit the plate at 300. I dialed in the elevation for what I thought was 500 and missed. It was a tricky shot as you could not actually see the plate as it was obscured by the tall grass at the back of the range. You could see the strap that it was hanging from. I was able to bracket in the far plate and got the zero in nicely. It turned out the range to the far plate was actually 450 meters which was why I was shooting a bit high. The far plate sounded like a school bell after each hit. Once I had the far plate dialed in I sent 10 rounds into the the paper next to the far target. At 5 oclock I had drank almost the full gallon of water I had brought with me and it was time to call it a day. On the next cease fire I walked 450 meters down range for the 3rd time that day. I didn't expect much from the far target as this was my first time on any type of distance and my only previous marksmanship was Basic Rifle Marksmanship at Malone Range complex with iron sights and annual qualification on pop up targets while in the guard. I had 3 hits within 1 inch of the point of aim. The other hits were pretty respectable. So now I'm going to see if I can do the math out to a 1000. I hear the 308 can go to 1200.

-c

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nice. Sounds like a good day.

14. Wiley

Wiley New Member

15. Malum Prohibitum

Re: SASS Rifle

Autrey's Armory? Do you live around Fayetteville?

I have not been back to the Fort Benning Rifle and Pistol Club since they started registering all weapons that come on base. Are they still doing that? I have had 6 different guns on that base. I was not about to start registering all of them, so I just stopped going. I have never seen the new range. I really liked the English range.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Re: SASS Rifle

44 clicks? :D

17. 1stinlastout

1stinlastout New Member

Ft Benning Weapon Policy

Its not a big deal. You just fill out a form when you get your visitors pass. If you have a sticker and a membership card to the club you are supposed to be ok on base with your weapons to and from the club.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Ft Benning Weapon Policy

Does every firearm you ever bring on base need to be disclosed by serial number and registered?

I often have different firearms with me.

I used to unload right before I got to the roadblock.

19. 1stinlastout

1stinlastout New Member

Registration

You basically declare make model and amount of ammo and agree to abide by Army regulations. No serial number required. Its $60/year for civilians and a bit less for active or retired status.

-c

20. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Registration

Oh, I misunderstood. Maybe I will go back.

How would I know the amount of ammo ahead of time, and wouldn't it be different after I shoot than before?