$100,000 shotgun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gunsmoker, Oct 7, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Who would have thought that a double-barrel shotgun made in 1955 would be worth nearly $100,000 today?
    http://www.gunsinternational.com/J-Purdey-Sons-Best-Over-Under-20-bore.cfm?gun_id=100043825
    It's only 55 years old-- that's not an antique in the world of firearms!
    But it's a Purdey, and one of the upper-end models that probably cost as much as a good used car back in the day.

I would never have guessed how much this thing would be worth, if I had not just seen some ads on the internet (I know some people ask more than fair market value, but there's plenty of evidence that many Purdey shotguns sell in the 10,000 - $50,000 range.

If I ever see one for sale at a yard sale, flea market, or little hole-in-the-wall pawn shop for around $300, I'll be sure to pick one up ! :wink:

2. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i think i'll buy it and saw it down for home defense.

3. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

lol zoo you're the only guy I know who would saw down a 100k shotgun lol. You have my respect lol :D

4. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I once saw a shotgun that was appraised right under $250,000. Completely ridiculous.

It all has to do with the maker of the shotgun. His skills. All hand made. Also, on how rare that makers shotguns were. And of course, condition of the shotgun.

Every person that I've known who bought a very expensive shotgun. Say between $25,000 and $50,000 always regretted buying it, sold it, and always lost money on the deal.

Its kind of like the two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Everyone I know who has bought a very expensive handmade shotgun have really regretted it. Well beside one person.

Basically, if you buy a very expensive shotgun, buy to own for the rest of you life and pass down to your children. It really doesn't pay to buy and resell them.