10 states provide most "crime" guns

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Macktee, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Of course, Georgia is one of the ten...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/ap_ ... QxMHN0YXQ-

The report was issued by Bloomberg's group of crooked politicians, Mayors Against Illegal Guns which stated "... nearly half of the guns that crossed state lines and were used in crimes in 2009 were sold in just 10 states ...".

The group blamed these states for providing nearly 21,000 guns used in crimes committed in other states and said one reason was "... more relaxed gun laws, suggesting that "criminals and gun traffickers may favor certain states as the sources of guns." ..."

And again went after gun shows by stating "... states that do not require background checks for handgun sales at gun shows, the crime-gun export rate was two-and-a-half times as much as the rate in states that do require such checks. ..."

Typical of the group.

[​IMG]

Very typical, but it will make the media and some people will believe it.

Mission Accomplished!

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Why don't they look at reports of stolen guns. Heck there have been two folks on this board who have had their guns, or a family members' guns stolen from their homes in the last week alone. Maybe compare the crime rate....I'm being to logical.......

Maybe it's the interstate road system that's to blame.

3. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

4. mountainpass

Well by now thats an understood. :?

5. murrybird

murrybird New Member

I just posted this garbage of an article and research on my blog. Yes, it is Bloombergs "blame Bush" moment. Seeing he has little to no control over his city,and wants to be a baby arout by blaming others.

Yet, if you look at Georgia's crime level,conpared to New York states level you'll notice we have a lower crime rate per 100,000. Perhaps the problem isn't the allowing of guns, but the prohibition of guns. But, that is logical,and we all know how liberal and logic mix, which is to say never.

6. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Well, if they (those anti-freedom nanny states) loosened up their gun laws a bit then they wouldn't have to worry about them coming from Georgia.

7. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I would say I'm surprised but I'm not. Just anothe rperson talking crap and pointing a finger at someone other than himself or those in charge. How hard is it for people to realize that criminals will get guns WITH OR WITHOUT OUR HELP. As far as the background checks, before I got my permit I was given a background check. I just hate how people feed peoples fears by talking crap. thats why I live in such a small town, I hoped the large potion of people up here didnt have their head up their :3hat:.

8. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Considering the fact that the ten states listed as providing 48.8 % of the guns used in crime also make up 46.4% of the US population, there is nothing of significance really reported here.

9. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Excellent point

10. mountainpass

Georgia Top Exporter Of Guns
    "gun’s right’s group" Gun finally has its own right's.
    Notice how they wrote (dot). :lol: :?

11. mountainpass

Georgia tops gun trafficking list
    Video at link. Be careful on the volume...ouch!

12. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

You always have to watch those lies, damned lies and statistics...and politicians. :righton:

13. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Who's that fat dude?

14. mountainpass

Man he has a face only a mother could love. :p

link
    Georgia "exported" guns!

I looked at the data, they mention that
    then why include the stolen guns?
    They also get it wrong on
    the map shows that Georgia
    And I didn't spend more than 2 minutes on the site...not worth my time.

15. mono no aware

mono no aware New Member

"Of Arms and the Law" identifies at least three incorrect and/or (intentionally) misleading points, one of which has already been pointed out in this thread.

1. the 10 states have population percentages about the same size as traces
    2. report talks about 'crime guns' when the data refers to gun traces, which are not equivalent
    3. argues that States with 'shall issue' CCW licensing have a higher trafficking rates. Huh?

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2010/ ... oups_r.php

The report is here: http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org ... report.pdf
    I couldn't bring myself to read it, however. :roll:

16. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Um...so...most guns come from states where it's easiest to get guns? So we should somehow restrict gun sales in those states?

Next they'll tell us that drug stores are the source for the most abused prescription drugs...so I guess we should do something about drug stores.

Or that most cars used in hit and runs and drunk driving can be traced to car dealerships...so maybe we should more tightly regulate car sales...

Or that most illegal Mexican immigrants enter the country through states that border on Mexico...so, crazy idea...maybe we should secure the border?

Haha, just kidding...they'll never say we should secure the border.

17. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Not true. Ten out of fifty accounting for 48.8% is statistically significant.
    The parameters are states .......not population.
    The anti argument is BS..I agree.

T-test

18. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I think the point is that one might reasonably expect roughly half the population to account for roughly half of these guns, regardless of where they are from. Or for roughly half of anything else that one might care to measure, for that matter.

Those particular numbers might be statistically significant, but that doesn't mean they mean what the article says they mean.

19. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

No argument here. ???????????????

20. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

What percentage of all DUI's do those states account for annually?

Willing to believe it's almost 50% as well.